Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SolutionsWith
Frequent Visitor

Powerbi refresh Succeeds but some Data doesn't Update

Context (if you care)

I have built a Power BI report that queries data from many SQL Server databases at my organization. These are refreshed in a data flow. I then have a sharepoint list that i am using as a 'write back' table and this table is synced in another data flow.

My dataset then pulls both of these data flows and creates a merged table with some calculations, i then use this table to do a 'write back' based on certain events. It is all scheuled very carefully with power automate scheuled runs. It is designed so if an item misses a run its ok because it will be picked up in the next run.

My Problem

When i run my refreshes everything is good and my triggered events all work correctly. It will run perfectly for a couple hours. The flow then it will stop working randomly (Refresh works / no errors just my 'write back' stops). What happens is I go look at my sharepoint file and it has say 10 rows of data and then i go look at my flow and it also has the data and then i look at the dataset and it will only have 7 rows, it will continue refreshing correctly updating a bunch of other tables in the dataset. But never updating the table with 7 rows until i do it manually or download the pbix and republish and which point it starts working again like magic.

My thoughts

There is either some bugs with me doing a table in the powerbi data set which combines two datasets. And i should rather read the sharepoint tables directly into the dataset OR merge all the tables into a single dataflow.

Have you ever seen something like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @SolutionsWith 

It sounds like quite a complex solution and potentially not using the right tool for the job. I would suggest reading the files from SharePoint files or as you suggested merge them all into tables in a dataflow.

I always suggest using the right tool for the job and also make it as simple as possible. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @SolutionsWith 

It sounds like quite a complex solution and potentially not using the right tool for the job. I would suggest reading the files from SharePoint files or as you suggested merge them all into tables in a dataflow.

I always suggest using the right tool for the job and also make it as simple as possible. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors