Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

koffieli
Regular Visitor

Powerbi embedded for customer

Dear experts,

I have an urgent matter regarding powerbi embedded. 

If I missed something let me know as this the first time to try it. 

Following is my customer requirement:

He has confidential stream data from field data collector. This data will be reported in a dashboard. 

He just want to see the data dashboard embedded in his company webpage internal webpage. 

He want a passwod protected link as their are many level of hierarchy in the company, so he want 

to expose only required data to each level. 

My approach is to purchase a pro license and purchase one ISV and use the API to collect the data from the 

collector result repository which is in a json format. 

As powerbi visuals are more suitable to his needs, i want to use powerbi. I will appreciate your help. 

Koffi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @koffieli,

Nope, power bi embedded not support to add password.

For your scenario, I'd like to suggest you use power bi embedded with dynamic RLS based on username to achieve these requirement.

Power BI Embedded:

Official Documentation – Power BI Embedded

GitHub Sample Repo

Row level security:

RLS with UserName()

Notice: After you setting dynamic RLS based on username, if you not assign role to one user, even if he open the embed url, he alse can't view detail visual data.(it show visual data can't load)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @koffieli,

Nope, power bi embedded not support to add password.

For your scenario, I'd like to suggest you use power bi embedded with dynamic RLS based on username to achieve these requirement.

Power BI Embedded:

Official Documentation – Power BI Embedded

GitHub Sample Repo

Row level security:

RLS with UserName()

Notice: After you setting dynamic RLS based on username, if you not assign role to one user, even if he open the embed url, he alse can't view detail visual data.(it show visual data can't load)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much. Does this mean that they need first to login in my app then I use the username to control activities in the access to the content?

HI @Anonymous,

Yes, if you use embed url to embed your contents, these users need to login in to power bi. then 'username' function will get sing-in user name.

BTW, RLS effect only works for read-permission users, it not works on dataset owner and edit-permission users.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much. 

I will start writing the web app this weekend. Would appreciate some sample to start from. 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors