Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JuliaYebra
Helper III
Helper III

Powerbi.com Server Time

I have a report that works well on Power BI Desktop but on the Service shows wrong values.

This is because when using now() function on Desktop shows my country time correctly but on Service it shows 3 more hours.

As I'm not a Tenant Admin on my company I can't see if there is any Time/zone configuration on the Service.

Does anybody know if Power Bi takes the time/zone from a user or tenant configuration and where is it??  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JuliaYebra You can tell where you data is being stored by clicking on the question mark in the upper right hand corner, and selecting "About Power BI". This may help in troubleshooting. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@JuliaYebra You can tell where you data is being stored by clicking on the question mark in the upper right hand corner, and selecting "About Power BI". This may help in troubleshooting. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer I have the same issue on all my reports.

Data is being stored in Singapore under NZ timezone

PowerBI data storage location.pngNow.png

however as you can see it still thinks it is yesterday ! New Zealand is +12 hours.

Any fix for this you can recommend would be great.

Cheers

ED.

@elliotdixon If you take the current time in the NOW() function and subtract the time as a fraction of 1 day you can remove hours. So, 1 day = 24 hours. 1/24 * (number of hours you want subracted) will be the decimal that you subtract. This should give you the local time you want to display in your reports when using the NOW() function. Here are some quick examples, you'll notice the 22 hours ago correctly moves you back a day.

time.JPG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer Thanks for this - helps a bit. I have been using the format

NZ Now = NOW()+(12/24)

Which gives +0.5. Excatly what you have. Which is great.

Issue is that now its the afternoon in my time the dates are still looking +0.5 of a day ahead. Means I am getting numbers for Friday when it is still Thursday. Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Cheers

@elliotdixon I guess I would need to know more about what you are trying to accomplish. If I read this correctly, you are in NZ timesone, and your data is being stored in a DC that is 12 hours ahead and the dates are stored in the TZ of the DC? Can you elaborate a bit? 

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer Thanks for your help with this.

I seemed to have solved the issue for the Import model of Power BI but now need to get it working for my DirectQuery model.

On each data table with dates I can add two columns

Add Column –> Add Custom Column

• Name:  Date_TABLENAME (NZ+12)
  • Formula:  =DateTime.AddZone([Column with Date / time values],12)

Then

Add Column –> Add Custom Column

• Name:  Date_TABLENAME_GMTTime
  • Formula:  =DateTimeZone.SwitchZone([#"Date_TABLENAME (NZ+12)"],0)

I then connect the GMTTime colum back to the main dates table I have setup. It all then works online. Great.

The 12 hours is due to NZ being 12 hours ahead at the moment - I will have to fix during the summer months when we go +13 but thats something to worry about another time.

The next issue is that I need to relicate this in Direct Query but it does not allow the adding of new columns.

Any idea how to solve that?

Cheers
ED.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors