Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerbI Azure deployment

Good morning y'all.

We have an Azure environment and we are trying to build out a deployment process for the first time, to multiple groups within our organization, with users both in house and external.  

I'm trying to locate sources, sites, etc. that I can search/reach out and use to help define and create it.  Simply put, we want to be able to save our PBIT version in GIT and then have devops deploy it out to the various workspaces we'll be setting up, and automate it as much as possible.

So far much of what I've seen is deploying the PBIX file, but I'd love to be able to deploy a Template and within the process, connect to my data sources, include any passwords and have it automatically converted to a PBIX during the deployment process.

Any information and recommendations would be appreciated. 

It's been a challenge to find an excellent reference to deploy a PBIT file to a workspace and interally add the datasource, database, passwords, etc.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I may not understand your question very well.
Please check if the following links are helpful to you.

How to deploy POwer BI template for use in Power BI service 

Deploy Azure ARM Template for Azure Synapse and Power BI Solution using CMS Medicare Data 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand. I can be wordy at times.

Simply put, to turn a PBIT template into a PBIX, you open it up, connect to a data source and save it as a PBIX.
My Template has four parameters, one to connect to data source, one to connect to database, one for UserID and another for password to connect to the database.

So I open up the template, type in the requirements for all 4 and assuming they’re correct, I’m connected.

As a deployment, I want to find a way that I can give the template to our DevOps group, and they decide where the template will be connected.  They would fill in the four parameters.

But currently this is done manually. You have to open it, type in the correct parameters and save it as a PBIX.

I am looking for a way to automate this, perhaps by using some kind of config file that automatically populate the parameters. That way, the process is automated.

I hope this helps explain it better.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors