Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bergjm2
Helper I
Helper I

PowerShell script to add group of users to a PowerBI app

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to add a group of users to a Power BI app using a PowerShell script? I have not been able to find any information on this and the Microsoft.PowerBI.PowerShell module doestn't seem to have any cmdlets to add users to the app.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bergjm2,

Nope, current power bi not support this operating.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Is there a way to create a user group within power BI itself?

Thanks,

Ankita

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @bergjm2,

What the 'app' means? App workspace or 'app' publish from 'workspace'?

If you mean add users to specific app workspace, it is possible. Please refer to below link to know how to batch add users to specific group.

Add Bulk Users to Office 365 Group with PowerShell

If you mean bulk install published app to specific users by powershell script, it is impossible.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I mean add a group of individuals to the App in the workspace through a PowerShell script instead of adding each user in the Access screen of a Power BI App (see below).

Thanks

AssignUsersApp.PNG

Hi @bergjm2,

Nope, current power bi not support this operating.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi,

Is this still not possible?  

There is a pain point with the existing UI on Power BI Service to manage long list of user permissions.  Namely the user names are not sorted in any apparent order.  When the user list gets long it is very very tedious to check if someone has been given access.  

Ideally, a workspace admin should be able to use Powershell cmdlets to retrieve/update user permissions for a published app.

Regards

wilx

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors