Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

svergara
Frequent Visitor

PowerBi service not showing same data as in Desktop version

Hi all,

I made a report via PowerBi desktop querying information from our data warehouse and sharepoint. In order to adjust the data model to a star schema, I did some table transformations (e.g adding index columns, creating dimension tables, etc). When refreshing the data in powerBi desktop everything works well and the values displayed are accurate. However, when I publish this to PowerBi service and refresh the data using a gateway, the data is not mapped correctly anymore. For one specific filter it seems the index column is mapping the wrong values, and when appyling the same filters in the desktop and online version the results are different (being less in powerbi online).

I saw this piece of information but do not know if it is related to my issue since I do not get an error, only the mapping is done wrong online. 

svergara_0-1654606737460.png

What could be the issue in this case? Is there some configuration missing in the gateway that is not doing the mapping correctly?

Bests,

Sofia

5 REPLIES 5
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @svergara ,

Do you have any filter or measure involved with datetime?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

@v-jayw-msft Why did you say so? I have datetime measure which changes the month value as the month changes. Could you please help as what could be wrong as we are also facing same issue.

svergara
Frequent Visitor

@Greg_Deckler that is not the error, since even in default there are metrics showing different values compared to the Desktop version. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@svergara First thing to check is to reset your report in the Service. This is the Reset to default in the report header. This is the most common reason why things are different in the Service versus the Desktop.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I refreshed both, the service and desktop data sources and downloaded from PowerBi service the dashboard and dataset attached in order to compare both of them and saw the following: 

On the desktop version the following indexes are attached: 

svergara_0-1654759304857.png

while on the online version the indexes are: 

svergara_1-1654759361734.png

and this happens to all of the dimension tables in the model. I created the indexes by doing this: 

svergara_2-1654759685275.png

in order to follow a star schema. 

I have read that at times there are problems with NULL values in powerbi and since some of the columns presented them I converted them to a string value. However, this did not solve the problem. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors