Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBi Table not recognising mailto as a URL

Hey 

I've been trying to get a mailto link to work in a PowerBi table, ideally with the URL Icon. This is pulling through from a Sharepoint Excel, the mailto link is made in a CONCAT function. An example is below:

mailto:email@test.org.uk?subject=UK%20Capabilities%20Catalogue

According to Microsoft docs, PowerBi should recongise the following URLs, I've tried -mailto, :mailto, mailto etc. to no avail. -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-hyperlinks-in-tables:

URLS must start with one of the following 

http
https
-mailto
file
ftp
news
telnet

The link isn't clickable in the report at all.

6 REPLIES 6
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Go to Data and change the data type of column1(from your imagein previous comment) to WebURL.

Also, format for mailing should be mailto:email_ID (Example- mailto:abc@xyz.com) which i guess you already have.

Check the below image to understand what i did and this works pretty perfectly with 1 click:

url.PNG

You can also go to Format -> Values -> Enable URL Icon to show email icon instead of clickable text.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anand24 ,

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately as I am on Mac I am working on PowerBi Webapp, not desktop. I do not have access to the data category option!

I have tried formatting the values to appear as URL, and I have tried the web icon. However, this does not work 😞

Matthew

Hi, @Anonymous 

Could you please tell me whether your problem has been solved?
If yes, you could accept the helpful answer as solution ro close this thread . So that other community members will easily find the solution when they get the same issue.You also could share your own solution here.

For now, there is no content of description in the thread. If you still need help, please share more details to us.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi @Anonymous ,

I don't think changing datatype and setting it to URL is possible from Power BI Services. You will have to perform those in Power BI Desktop.

Also, pulling data from excel/sharepoint excel makes PowerBI pull data as text and not link. That's why even if you might have concatenated field as link in excel, it won't be recognised in Power BI.

Suggestion: Download your pbix file from services, make required data type URL changes from desktop and publish back to services.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - mailto works just fine but you need to drop your query string.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler 

Thanks for your reply, I dropped the subject bit, although it still does not recognise it as a URL... see imgur below,

https://imgur.com/a/wnI0Yl2

Matthew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors