Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MSBIDev2012
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI with Tabular SSAS - Analysis services connector or Gateway?

Hi,

We have a scenario where our PowerBI dashboards connect to Tabular Analysis services using live connection. Here are a few points about the environment:

a) The Analysis Services Tabular cube is residing in an IAAS environment. We are currently using Power BI Gateway.

b) We have a huge workload going up to many thousands of users.

c) Our cube refreshes once every hour and Power BI creates a huge amount of pressure on infra as it has to refresh the cache for every user,query combination.

Questions:

1) I would like to know from the experts what would be the better option to choose between Analysis Services Connector and Power BI gateway. Would any of these perform better than the other in some scenarios?

2) Is there a way we define what is an active connection for PowerBI? Looks like it caches queries for users who have logged in any time in the last 2 weeks.

Any tips on cache management, setting recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
MSBIDev2012
Frequent Visitor

Hello experts,

Please let me know if anyone has any inputs with respect to my queries.

Thanks in advance!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MSBIDev2012,

Which type of AS datasource you mentioned? Can you please share more detailed contents?

>>b) We have a huge workload going up to many thousands of users.

If these users are in same tenant, you can use one gateway to handling multiple refresh request.

Manage your data source - SQL Server

For performance issues, I'd like to suggest you take a look at below article:

Power BI Performance Best Practices

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Xiaoxin! AS is SQL Server 2016 Tabular Analysis Services model on an Azure VM.

HI @MSBIDev2012,

>>AS is SQL Server 2016 Tabular Analysis Services model on an Azure VM.

It seems like you are using a on-premise datasource. 

In my opinion, 'connection directly' mode will be more suitable with huge workload situation.(online datasource)

Since you are using on-premise datasource, connection directly mode not work for your scenario, so you had to set up a gateway to manage refresh operation.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors