Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vinve
Employee
Employee

PowerBI to Kusto connector based queries timing out and reports failing to refresh

I am using PowerBI desktop for creating report, and have it scheduled for refresh on PowerBI Web everyday. These are powered using Kusto data source, using PowerBI-Kusto data connector. We have been using this to serve last 28 days reports, and recently had started query timeouts issues in our power bi and the daily refresh has been failing inconsistently. On checking the query stats in Kusto, these queries are all in "Cancelled" state, at around 5 mins, with failure reason as "Query is expired". Its really strange because I see some of the refresh and queries successfully completing and taking ~10-15 minutes, and some being aborted at 5mins. 

In our PowerBI-Kusto connector, we have been using advanced option set parameter of "set servertimeout=59m;", and that seems to have worked till recently, but has started failing recently and intermittently.

I have already reached out to Kusto Community and Kusto Support Team (using IcM ticket), and they have asked me to reach out to PowerBI team about this. So can some help me about how can I debug and resolve this issue?

Detailed information about the issue:

Error Logs in PowerBI:

Hide On demand 7/9/2020, 8:30:24 PM 7/9/2020, 8:56:08 PM Failed There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
Data source error: {"error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","pbi.error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"Message","detail":{"type":1,"value":"The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: DS2_PostQ3_CombineMerge_FlightedTenantsOnly.
Cluster URI: DF-MSIT-SCUS-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 9af7a1ee-ac04-4579-a806-ba5379dd7678
Request ID: 413ae2a5-f86d-7ca5-ddcf-126fcd1dc63f
Time: 2020-07-09 15:26:08Z

Kusto query status related query results:

(see following inline image).

PowerBI-Kusto Query Stats.png

Sharing related documentation that we followed, and the query results and error in attachments.

PowerBI-Kusto connector Documentation: Link

2 REPLIES 2
sjayakrishna
Employee
Employee

Hi @vinve 

Did you ever get to the bottom of this and find out how to fix it?
My team's facing this exact issue - inconsistent failures of scheduled auto-refresh with just "Query is Expired" as the main error code.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vinve ,

Just a guess, if your query reaches Kusto query limit.  I suggest you go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors