Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI security - impersonation/delegation of user access

Hello PowerBI experts,

I have a requirement wherein the powerBI user needs to be able to delegate access to others, who, in turn can impersonate the original user. For example: Let's say, as per the row level security set up,

• User1 has access to all of Europe data
  • User2 has access only to Germany data
  • User3 has no access to view any country's data (can access the report but sees no data)

The requirement is, say, User1 delegates User2 and User3 to view the reports in his absence. User2 and User3 will then impersonate User1 and hence will both be able to see all of Europe data. Do you think, this is doable in powerbi?

This is similar to the Analysis services feature for testing the cube wherein the admin can impersonate any user through ssms and see if the data is appearing correctly.

Please share your thoughts/ideas.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would like to think that this could be done with Dynamic RLS and the users being assigned via a spreadsheet, that will then get refreshed and updated on the next scheduled refresh.

There are quite a few steps to get this working, but I would look at this blog post where I detail how to get it done: https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi MSBIDev2018,

To be general, you may refer to Dynamic Row Level Security with Organizational Hierarchy Power BI: http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-organizational-hierarchy-power-bi.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

Are you saying that when you press F5 it all works as expected?

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would like to think that this could be done with Dynamic RLS and the users being assigned via a spreadsheet, that will then get refreshed and updated on the next scheduled refresh.

There are quite a few steps to get this working, but I would look at this blog post where I detail how to get it done: https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security...

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @GilbertQ

Will go through your link. While I'm aware of dynamic RLS in PowerBI, this post was to check if there is any feature in PowerBI to delegate access to others. I guess we can conclude that there isn't any and we need to look for a custom solution here.

Thanks!

Hi there

Yes you are correct, in that you would need to look for a custom solution

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors