Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ianbarker
Helper III
Helper III

PowerBI refresh fail - Expression Error.

Has anyone seen this issue when refreshing dataset in app.powerbi.com?

Seems to work ok in Desktop.

This is based on a Desktop file I have uploaded which is looking at data from Dynamics CRM.

"XML parsing failed at line 112, column 47: Semicolon expected."

2016-06-29_9-31-05.png

20 REPLIES 20
thiagozaiden
Employee
Employee

Hello everyone!

Its working normally for me again. I didn't do anything actually, and my dataset has some queries depending on the same table.

I believe they already found a solution.

Thanks!

Same here - working normally without any changes from me.

Must have been related to their status message....

Yesterday the refresh started to work for us again. However, this morning, we received the same error so I am not sure that this issue has been resolved. Has there been any other possible solutions to resolving this issue?

Something went wrong.

There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Processing errorXML parsing failed at line 47, column 32: Semicolon expected.
Cluster URIDF-MSIT-SCUS-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity IDffbf782e-c2ec-4645-a6d4-3d7eb7d9bb83
Request ID92b05d42-90eb-d615-fe9b-fb64e741d894
Time2016-07-07 16:37:40Z

Start working for me too), will see how it goes.

Hi @dstramilov@ianbarker@NickEtch@Mattnade@thiagozaiden

I too gets same error. How do you resolved the schedule refresh error. I didn't get refresh even 1 times. I am often getting one of my table gets error. but if I refresh manually in desktop I didn't face any consequence. But while republish to web I am getting same error in manual refresh and schedule refresh. I am trying to set schedule refresh more than a month. I have gone through whole community resolved solutions. done everything but don't know why the error occurs and where it occurs. Please help me to resolve.Client database is not in my location. We are working with different timezones.

Cluster URI: WABI-EUROPE-NORTH-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: faa39a5b-df3a-41e4-b223-a12a728844fa
Request ID: 62fdc4fc-2bd0-403e-9bf3-5e08d7b7c0e2
Time: 2018-09-17 20:39:37Z

Thanks In Advance,

Amz

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ianbarker,

From the error message, we can see that the issue is caused by dataset data. Please check if there is any changes in Dynamic CRM Online. Also you can create a new dataset to get data from Dynamic CRM Online in Power BI Desktop to see if the same dataset can be processed.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I can assure you that there had been no changes to the dataset data.

The CRM Online instance I was pointing to at the time was a staging database, so there had not even been any transactions posted in it.

All I can tell you is that one day the dataset refreshed and the next it didn't and was giving the errors previously mentioned.

I have resolved my issue now, via the workaround in my earlier post. However, this is obviously causing issues for a number of other people.

Thanks,

Ian

mdawesdigitalk
Frequent Visitor

Same error with us as follows;

An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.

XML parsing failed at line 83, column 40: Semicolon expected.

Cluster URI: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Time: 2016-07-01 10:05:32Z

This is a dataset that has been refreshing 2 or 3 times a day for 6 months without fail, until yesterday.

If I take the original desktop file and refresh I get no errors.  Reupload that refreshed file onto Service via OneDrive and the data refreshes, but the dataset will not refresh within Service.

Any pointers appreciated, but suspect it is a Microsoft introduced bug somewhere.....

Same for me(((

Processing error:XML parsing failed at line 97, column 32: Semicolon expected. .
Cluster URI:WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:700326bc-35e1-4323-b411-1a6f526faa12
Request ID:ce4a9089-64db-4305-b3c5-ff8e6d6e32ff
Time:2016-07-01 00:30:03Z

I think the same is happening to me - 

Processing errorXML parsing failed at line 157, column 39: Illegal qualified name character.
Cluster URIWABI-AUSTRALIA-SOUTHEAST-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID63e7096d-018a-ab56-44b5-f5c31d16c857
Request IDf72a9ee2-9e08-2dc1-da2f-cde6d9c9a5c6
Time2016-07-04 00:36:54Z

Anyone know if this is one and the same issue that is causing the "Users may experience processing errors when refreshing datasets in the Power BI service. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible." status message we're being shown... or if I should be hunting for an issue with my dataset specifically?

Refreshes fine in Desktop, so I'm a little lost....

In my case, as per my edit, it was (or so I thought) related to the fact that I had multiple queries pointing to the same table in my data source. Combining those queries into a single query resolved my issue.

I was having a think about it and also wonder if the issue could be related to a naming convention with the queries.

In my case, originally, the multiple queries that pointed to the same table were all named very similarly. i.e. they all started with the word "Optionset". I wonder if anyone else here, even if you are not pointing more than 1 query to the same table, is naming more than a single query with a matching word?

Just a thought.

mdawesdigitalk
Frequent Visitor

Same error with us as follows;

Power BI

This is a dataset that has been refreshing 2 or 3 times a day for 6 months without fail, until yesterday.

If I take the original desktop file and refresh I get no errors.  Reupload that refreshed file onto Service via OneDrive and the data refreshes, but the dataset will not refresh within Service.

Any pointers appreciated, but suspect it is a Microsoft introduced bug somewhere.....

NickEtch
Employee
Employee

I have also started to receive this error when trying to refresh my datasource. However, I only have two sql queries in my desktop file, each pulling from different tables. Refresh of the data in the desktop file does not provide any errors and I only receive the error after it is published to Power BI. Is there an alternate solution to this beyond trying to take the details out of Power BI to an external DAX solution?

In recreating the file from scratch, it does not appear to be causing the issue. However, doing a save as or copy of the file seems to replicate the issue. Possibly something became corrupt within the desktop file?

**Update** After posting the new file for processing, it appears that it too has started to get the error. So recreating the dataset and original file does not fix the issue.

In recreating the file from scratch, it does not appear to be causing the issue. However, doing a save as or copy of the file seems to replicate the issue. Possibly something became corrupt within the desktop file?

**Update** After posting the new file for processing, it appears that it too has started to get the error. So recreating the dataset and original file does not fix the issue.

@NickEtch Perhaps you were getting a different issue? I didn't create mine from scratch. I just removed my duplicate tables and it resolved itself. Definitely some change on the Microsoft side.

thiagozaiden
Employee
Employee

I'm also having this issue. It just hit me for the first time and there is nothing unsual in what I'm doing while refreshing my dataset.

Processing error: XML parsing failed at line 57, column 34: Illegal name character.

I checked all my tables and only one of them had 34 or more columns. When looking the column 34, line 57, there is no data, its null, as it always have been. So I have no ideia why this error is happening now.

Despite that, my dashboards are up to date. So the error message seems to be off, sending wrong signals.

Does anyone have a fix for that?

Thanks!

May have identified the issue here. I'll do some testing today and provide some feedback.

In my case it looks related to the fact that I have multiple queries that are based on the exact same table in the source database (just with different filters).

This seems like it could be the issue.

If that's the case, this is a new bug introduced over the last few days.

EDIT: @thiagozaiden and anyone else who may be having this issue. It appears to be a bug introduced in the last few days.

It occurrs when you have more than one query that is based on the same table in your dataset.

I got around the issue but altering my queries so that I only had a single query for each table, and then used DAX outside of the Query Editor to do lookups to the apprpriate portions of the table.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ianbarker Error is giving you column number and line number and message of Semicolon expected, are you able to pin point that area and check data there. I have seen few times data refresh works fine in desktop but throws error in service. But from error itself it seems to be data related. You can also try removing that column whole and then refresh in service to figure out the exact cause.

@ankitpatira My dataset contains 35 tables. Any thoughts on how I might pinpoint the table at the very least?

@ianbarker I guess you will have to shortlist tables that has equal or more than 47 columns since it said 47th column. Then look at line 112 of each of those tables and take a guess of which one it could be or one that does require semicolon. In anyway it seem like tidious task and its pity erorr hasn't mentioned table name. What I would do is also create a microsoft support ticket and start figuring out myself as well whichever happens earlier the better.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors