cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianbarker Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PowerBI refresh fail - Expression Error.

Has anyone seen this issue when refreshing dataset in app.powerbi.com?

Seems to work ok in Desktop.

This is based on a Desktop file I have uploaded which is looking at data from Dynamics CRM.

"XML parsing failed at line 112, column 47: Semicolon expected."

2016-06-29_9-31-05.png

20 REPLIES 20
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: PowerBI refresh fail - Expression Error.

@ianbarker Error is giving you column number and line number and message of Semicolon expected, are you able to pin point that area and check data there. I have seen few times data refresh works fine in desktop but throws error in service. But from error itself it seems to be data related. You can also try removing that column whole and then refresh in service to figure out the exact cause.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ankitpatira My dataset contains 35 tables. Any thoughts on how I might pinpoint the table at the very least?

ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@ianbarker I guess you will have to shortlist tables that has equal or more than 47 columns since it said 47th column. Then look at line 112 of each of those tables and take a guess of which one it could be or one that does require semicolon. In anyway it seem like tidious task and its pity erorr hasn't mentioned table name. What I would do is also create a microsoft support ticket and start figuring out myself as well whichever happens earlier the better.

thiagozaiden Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm also having this issue. It just hit me for the first time and there is nothing unsual in what I'm doing while refreshing my dataset.

Processing error: XML parsing failed at line 57, column 34: Illegal name character.

I checked all my tables and only one of them had 34 or more columns. When looking the column 34, line 57, there is no data, its null, as it always have been. So I have no ideia why this error is happening now.

Despite that, my dashboards are up to date. So the error message seems to be off, sending wrong signals.

Does anyone have a fix for that?

Thanks!

Regular Visitor

May have identified the issue here. I'll do some testing today and provide some feedback.

In my case it looks related to the fact that I have multiple queries that are based on the exact same table in the source database (just with different filters).

This seems like it could be the issue.

If that's the case, this is a new bug introduced over the last few days.

EDIT: @thiagozaiden and anyone else who may be having this issue. It appears to be a bug introduced in the last few days.

It occurrs when you have more than one query that is based on the same table in your dataset.

I got around the issue but altering my queries so that I only had a single query for each table, and then used DAX outside of the Query Editor to do lookups to the apprpriate portions of the table.

NickEtch Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have also started to receive this error when trying to refresh my datasource. However, I only have two sql queries in my desktop file, each pulling from different tables. Refresh of the data in the desktop file does not provide any errors and I only receive the error after it is published to Power BI. Is there an alternate solution to this beyond trying to take the details out of Power BI to an external DAX solution?

In recreating the file from scratch, it does not appear to be causing the issue. However, doing a save as or copy of the file seems to replicate the issue. Possibly something became corrupt within the desktop file?

**Update** After posting the new file for processing, it appears that it too has started to get the error. So recreating the dataset and original file does not fix the issue.

NickEtch Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

In recreating the file from scratch, it does not appear to be causing the issue. However, doing a save as or copy of the file seems to replicate the issue. Possibly something became corrupt within the desktop file?

**Update** After posting the new file for processing, it appears that it too has started to get the error. So recreating the dataset and original file does not fix the issue.

Regular Visitor

@NickEtch Perhaps you were getting a different issue? I didn't create mine from scratch. I just removed my duplicate tables and it resolved itself. Definitely some change on the Microsoft side.

mdawesdigitalk Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Same error with us as follows;

Power BI

This is a dataset that has been refreshing 2 or 3 times a day for 6 months without fail, until yesterday.

If I take the original desktop file and refresh I get no errors.  Reupload that refreshed file onto Service via OneDrive and the data refreshes, but the dataset will not refresh within Service.

Any pointers appreciated, but suspect it is a Microsoft introduced bug somewhere.....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 317 members 3,380 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: