Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GrahamKnowles
Resolver I
Resolver I

PowerBI linked to SharePoint Lists require a Personal Gateway?

I've got a list created in SharePoint online which i want to use to display data into a PowerBI report.

I've connected the list into an excel spreadsheet through the Export to Excel option in the ribbon.  This spreadseet is then also saved into the SharePoint online site.

I've used the PowerBI desktop app to pick up this data from the spreadsheet and create a PowerBI file which is published to PowerBI.

I can now see and interact with the report within PowerBI, however i can't enable a scheduled refresh.  The only option i'm given is to create a Personal Gateway to allow scheduled refresh.  However i was under the impression (from this article https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/649846-power-bi-personal-gateway) that a gateway would not be required as the data is connected to an online source rather than on-prem data

Is anyone able to shed some light on this for me?  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes Konstantinos, i have this working now.

My problem was i was trying to connect to the exact link for the sharepoint list.  In order to correct i had to change this link to the general site address and once connected to the site in PBI Desktop select the sharepoint list from the list of available tables to load the data.

Thanks

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Thanks works for me.

Hi,

I could connected PBI desktop to my SharePoint list, But i could not get the exact column and data in the preview. It shows something like FileSystemObjectType,ContentTypeId,AuthorId. etc other than the columns in the list and the list data in the site.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi 

did you happend to get this issue resolved. I am facing this error while connecting Sharepoint list directly to power BI.

My web address is of extranet, so is this an issue? can you suggest.

I want to make sharepoint list and power BI connected directly, but unable to do so.

Shivjeet Deoghare

This worked for me. Thanks

I tried linking to a particular table in sharepoint after navigating throug the root site. But after selecting the table, I am getting an error of 'User is not Authorized'. I have read access to the sharepoint list and I have a sharepoint license. What other access do I need?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors