Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI incremental refresh - 1st refresh timeout

Hi, 

I have a current PowerBI report which uses an Import connection to a SQL server. One of the fact tables has ~40Million rows. The report currently sits on the AppService and does a full refresh daily taking avg. 50 minutes. 

We have tried setting up an incremental refresh for this report, using the steps on the Microsoft blog. The issue we are facing is that the report times out on the first refresh on the service after publishing with incremental refreshed enabled. The error we get is the following:

cco.PNG
We have already tried increasing SQL command timeout minutes as suggested by this blog. We have also tried to optimize the dataset and ensured query folding works by checking native query. The idea still persists even after performing the above. Any thoughts on what must be the issue?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I think we hit the timeout limit. The issue though is that the report without the incremental refresh, undergoes the full refresh without any trouble under an hour. Curious how addding only the step of incremental refresh can break things?

That's strage. I haven't applied in real world scenario the incremental refresh yet, but it shouldn't take more 😞

I know that the first time is a complete refresh and then it's incremental. 

Try watching some videos to see if you miss something. Otherwise I'm glad you can completely refresh it in less than an hour yet.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Could you please specify how did you manage to resolve the issue? Thanks.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Power Bi Service has a 2 hours timeout limitation. Your data and transformations must refresh in that timeline. Sometimes the databases can't resolve complex queries in short time (adding resources might help), and other times the model size is too big for it. If your query is fast, then try downsizing techniques for the Power Bi data model. You can check details of it with DAX studio with some youtube videos helping there.

If you still have more than 2 hours with the smallest way of the model and the database runing fast, then you have to consider your model too big for Power Bi and start thinking in alternatives like Power Bi Aggregations composite or Analysis Services.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors