Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juju
Helper III
Helper III

PowerBI and sharing with external clients - question about options

I am evaluating the use of powerbi for a business use case.  I am a bit stumped by the sharing options available.

My company provides energy monitoring services. We will like to develop a dashboard that shows energy usage metrics - made available to each client.  The client has no editing rights - we are just using the dashboards as a reporting service.  All the clients will be external to our domain, of course. 

Our problem is how to share the dashboards -  Our dashboards will be streaming realtime info so we need a pro account. Seems PowerBI requires each client to register for a Pro account to just access and read these dashboards? That won't work for us.

What are my options if I still want to use PowerBI.  I am intruiged by DAX and all the flexibility that comes with using this tool.

What we know so far :

1. Pushing the dashboard into excel does not retain all the charts and interactivity ( not sure about this one )
  2. Publishing the dashboard to a website ( secure website for each client ) still exposes the dashboard to the public - the url in this case is still public, in case anyone has access to it.
  3. Clients can't use the free PowerBI service - just to read the dashboard. ( if it was created using the Pro license)

Did I miss anything else thats possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @juju,

Based on your description, you want to create some dashboards that contain Power BI Pro features and create other dashboards  that contain Power BI free features.

You want to share dashboards that contain Power BI free features to free users, if that is the case, it is possible.  However, if you want to share dashboards that contain Power BI Pro features to users, they would also need pro licenses.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors