Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blndspt
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Service (not desktop) to Mongo (Atlas)??

Hey guys,

I can't believe I'm actually asking this question.  Obviously, there are 100 articles on how to connect PowerBI DESKTOP to a Mongo database using ODBC.  However, I'm assuming that's not going to work the second you publish your report and dataset to the PowerBI service.  How in the world do you connect to Mongo in such a way that it works in desktop when you are building reports and then in 'Service' once you publish?

We were in Azure for awhile using Cosmos, in which case there is a direct connecter.  We moved to Atlas, now there seems to be no way to connect to MongoDB Atlas?

Thanks!

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@blndspt 

As far as I know, it is not support to connect to ODBC sources in service. BTW, why do you need to connect to the database on service again? Once you publish to service, the model including data sources connection is together uploaded to the dataset in service, you can create and edit report as needed.

Best,
Paul

In order to refresh the dataset in the PowerBI service, it has to be able to connect to the data source?  Not really sure what you mean.  All I'm trying to find is a way to connect to Mongo that still works once you publish it to the PowerBI service (with the ability to refresh).  I'm assuming you cannot do this using ODBC.

Cosmos DB has a direct connector, for example. 

On that note, when will we see PowerBI able to connect to Cosmos with the Mongo API?  You can connect using the Cosmos SQL API, but no Mongo API support yet?  Geez!  And you still cannot connect to Cosmos yet with Dataflows!  I would have thought that Cosmos might have been Microsoft's 2nd connection after SQL Server. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors