Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shaishavm
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBI Service error: OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection:

Hi, 

Our Power BI reports fetch data from Dynamics 365 Business Central using the native connector. However, since the Business Central version was updated to 20.0 (Release Wave 1 2022), refresh is failing. We tried both Power BI Service as well as Desktop.

Issue was escalated Microsoft Power BI Support, but they seem clueless. 

Refresh runs for about 3 hours and terminates with below error;

OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.

Appreciate any help!

Regards,

SM

29 REPLIES 29
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shaishavm,

This issue may be caused by some database modifications and they may bring some performance problems and prevent the report from refreshing data. Hope these official docs help you.

Enabling Power BI Integration With Business Central - Business Central | Microsoft Docs

Performance Article For Developers - Business Central | Microsoft Docs

But for such kind of issue, troubleshoot with the support engineer is necessary for the error is general and it needs further investigation. May I know whether you get any update from the support engineer for now?

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We have been using oData Web Services and running reports without any issues for last 2 years.

This issue started after our environment was upgraded to version 20.0.

A case is opened with Power BI team, they are taking assistance from Business Central technical support. However, there is no solution for 10 days now.

I wonder whether Business Central and Power BI are as compatible as Microsoft advertises.

Apprecaite any help!

Regards,

SM 

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem at one of our customers after we upgraded to BCv20.
So any news on this is welcome.
I'll also log a support case for this issue.

We don't have any clients complaining right now. But I'm sure they will return. and they will return in bunches. No one at Microsoft can give us any indication when/why it happens.

Hi @Shaishavm,

Thanks for your reply! I got it. May I know whether you receive any update from Business Central support team?  

Best Regards,

Hi: I work for a Microsoft Partner. This is a pervasive problem. This mysterious "Unable to read data from the transport connection. The connection was forcibly closed by the remote host." It comes and it goes. As the author has indicated, his ODATA connections have worked great for 2 years. Then all the sudden they don't. We had other clients on BC that were great until v20. And then they get this dreaded error. (not all of them, but many). One client's errors went away after upgrading to v20.1. But like this author, we have another client who is still problematic after v20.1.

I've been chasing this error for 12-18 months. It comes and it goes. Seems like the past few weeks we are getting an extraordinary amount of these errors. I don't think it's necessarily a BC v20 issue. But I imagine in a week or so, this error will go away for the most part. Then stay quiet for a couple months. Then lots of customer will complain about it again.

Nobody at BC or PowerBI/Query will take ownership of this. they just point the finger at each other. I'm trying to get Fiddler logs to help ascertain the problem. But by the time I get them setup, I can't recreate the error again. I'm going to try again now.

Thanks for the update. I have a client that experiences the same. Once in a while the scheduled update goes through - but mostly it fails. It started some weeks ago, but I am not aware of wether there has been any upgrade to their BC. 

The current version is: 
Business Central 20.1 (platform 20.0.39668.42066 + program 20.1.39764.39901)

Does these versions match any of the BCs you are having issues with. I am no BC expert - so maybe a stupid question, but here goes: Can you choose to upgrade either platform or program or does it have to be both. Is it an easy task for the BC partner og should we expect it to take days, weeks or months?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This also happens in D365FO, so it's not restricted to BC. WOrks for a few days and then "bam" get the same error message. Shambolic software that drives people away from Microsoft Products because of their lack of ownership of problems!!

Hi @Shaishavm @grantbrimhall,

Thanks for the info! I got it. Please observe the work of  the v20.1 Connector in the future days. If you find this issue happen again, then please reach to the support with your logs for further investigation. Thanks in advance!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors