Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI - Service Principal Deployment takes Ownership

Hi all,

we are deploying our PowerBI Reports / Datasets via DevOps and using a Service Principal. This works fine.

I am developing the reports locally with my personal organization account. We are connecting to an Azure SQL Database as a source in import mode.

Once I use the service principal for the deployment, the service principal takes ownership of the dataset i.e. I can't perform any refreshes as the service principal can't access the connection string information.

I receive "Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials."

My idea was to use the same service principal to change the connection string in the dataset automatically after the deployment. Is there a nice way to do that ? I found this resource:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/setalldatasetconnections but it's deprecated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check if hit any following limitations when using Service Principal:

• Service principal only works with new workspaces.
  • My Workspace isn't supported when using service principal.
  • Dedicated capacity is required when moving to production.
  • You can't sign into the Power BI portal using service principal.
  • Power BI admin rights are required to enable service principal in developer settings within the Power BI admin portal.
  • You can't install or manage an on-premises data gateway using service principal.
  • Embed for your organization applications can't use service principal.
  • Dataflows management is not supported.
  • Service principal currently does not support any admin APIs.
  • When using service principal with an Azure Analysis Services data source, the service principal itself must have an Azure Analysis Services instance permissions. Using a security group that contains the service principal for this purpose, doesn't work.

In addition, hope the following documentations can help you.

Dataset refresh error Service principal

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution. It will be very helpful for the others in the community when they face the same problem with you. 

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors