cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Moby01 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Service Data Set Refresh Now - Whole Data Set or just the modified Data?

Question: Is there any way to only up-date the modified part of the data model in PBIS?

Details and reason for question:

I have built a model in Desktop using data files stored in SharePoint online, which has been published to service and then SharePoint online. I have to update one of the tables every morning and the whole data model once a month.

If I want to change the data in one field of any of the base data tables and see that change in SharePoint, I have to:

1. SPO: Open the data table and make the change.
  2. PBID: Open PBID which takes up to 5 minutes.
  3. PBID: Refresh the queries that relate to the modified data table which again takes up to 5 minutes.
  4. PBID: Save which takes up to 5 minutes, sometimes longer.
  5. PBIS: Refresh the entire data model: About 30 minutes.
  6. SPO: Open, refresh and check that the data has been pulled through.

So I am looking at about 45 minutes for every change...

My concern is that as I add data to the model the 45 minutes could become several hours.

Is this just the way it is or can I improve the process somehow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerBI Service Data Set Refresh Now - Whole Data Set or just the modified Data?

hi, @Moby01 

Current, It refreshes the whole date.

You could try Incremental refresh, but it needs a Power BI Premium license for now.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: PowerBI Service Data Set Refresh Now - Whole Data Set or just the modified Data?

hi, @Moby01 

Current, It refreshes the whole date.

You could try Incremental refresh, but it needs a Power BI Premium license for now.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.