Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Minick17
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI + SSRS Live Connection?

Hello guys,

I want use Power BI but I have a very important question. My Data Source for the SSRS Reports are Analysis Services and I want use a on-premises Gateway.

My quesiton is: Is it possible to have a SSRS report(integrated in Power BI) on the Dashboard which is updating automatically?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
bajee
Resolver III
Resolver III
Minick17
Frequent Visitor

@ankitpatira

@v-sihou-msft

Thank you guys :).....I read an article about Power BI & SSRS Server 2016 say that:

On key announcement was that Reporting Services would be the central reporting hub for on-premises deployments of Microsoft BI. The SSRS server will host former Datazen content such as KPIs and mobile reports as well as traditional SSRS paginated reports, now with a modern look and feel! After the SQL Server 2016 release, Power BI interactive reports will be added to SSRS for on-premises deployment of Power BI. Finally, it will then be possible to embed this content inside SharePoint.

Has anyone experiences with this? And can anybody explain me if it works and how it works?

Thank you 🙂

@Minick17power bi on-premise deployment is part of roadmap but there is no timeline on when it will be available yet as far as I know.

@ankitpatira

Thank you for your fast request:

I have found this article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2016/04/18/power-bi-ssrs-2016-in-an-on-premises-environme...

In my understanding it`s possible to load a pbix. File into SSRS but don`t view this in the browser.....

What I would love to see is the ability to leverage Power BI Data Sets deployed to the Power BI Service for other reporting clients such as SQL Server Reporting Services. It is already so close from the analyze in excel using the Provider=MSOLAP to connect. I would love to be able to leverage a dataset with a visusal interactive dashboard and reporting tool like Power BI, as well as a nice PDF/Page Layout/Generl reporting tool like SQL Server Reporting Services.

Between Live Connection in Power BI Desktop and Analyze in Excel Connections, it can't be that difficult to expose to SSRS to connection to a Power BI Data Set for reporting purposes. 

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Minick17

You can pin the Reporting Services items onto Power BI Services, it requires SSRS 2016 and not all items can be pinned. See: Pin Reporting Services items to Power BI Dashboards 

However, the data refresh is managed by Reporting Services subscriptions. It's not controlled by on-premise gateway. And we can't make it "live" schedule with SQL Agent Job schedule. 

So for your requirement, I suggest you directly create the report in Power BI Desktop and open live connection to SSAS. Then create enterprise gateway on Power BI Services. Your published report will always be updated automatically.

Regards,

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Minick17 Yes you can pin ssrs reports as tiles in power bi dashboards and make sure sql server agent is running so that ssrs tiles in power bi dashboard will also refresh with latest data. Check out this article on how to do that. The only limitation is you require sql server 2016 for it to work with power bi.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors