cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SA_NYC Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: PowerBI Robots - Does Microsoft plan on doing something similar?

I wasn't sure so I just quickly tested it out. RLS itself definitely isn't supported, since Robots always starts with your (the admin's) view. You can set user-specific filters (from standard filter visuals) and since in my report I have my filters syncing across all pages, the personalized filters hold. However I don't believe there's a way to drive the filtering dynamically from a table. There's a fully-featured, time-unlimited trial version (it just places a big ugle watermark on the page) so give it a shot. Best of luck!

Akr_S Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks SA_NYC!! You were much faster to reply than PowerBI Robot's own customer service Smiley Happy

SA_NYC Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Ha, thanks, yeah that's definitely something I've noticed about PBIR - the company that publishes it isn't great on the support or communications front. You're pretty much on your own. Which is entirely fine as the product is so simple to use - except for when there are major product technical issues. There was one recently where it wouldn't work for a couple of days, and there was no word from the company, nothing on their website or twitter, nothing. I sent an email to support and a few days later heard back that they'd fixed the problem, which I'd already noticed had happened after a couple of days. But I get it, being a small ISV isn't easy.

While I'm on the topic, for any other PBIR users out there, here's a pro tip I've figured out by trial and error. The service creates and emails out a separate set of visuals for everyone on the distribution list. My main daily reporting package has about 10 visuals, and I had about 20 recipients. So lots of work for the service to create a distribute the reports, which seemed to be introducing room for timeouts and other glitches. To get around this I created an email distribution group within our corporate email service, and now I run the Robots report for distribution just to that group, which then funnels out to all the group members. This seems to have resolved the problem. DevScope (the Robots publisher), you might want to consider redesigning the product workflow this way, if it's possible to do so -- create all the visuals just once, then email out, rather than creating the visuals separately for every recipient. Cheers.

mduchesne Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks SA_NYC 

your post was very useful. 

DevScopeHelp Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thank you, SA_NYC. I've passed your suggestion on to our developers.

Shubham Member

Power BI Robots is NOT associated with Microsoft. If you subscribe and allow them to connect with your Power BI Organization Portal, it means you are allowing them to take all confidential data/information from your dashboards and reports.

I won't prefer to make a connection from PBI Robots to PBI server or cloud services.

Please feel free to add.

Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Hi, Shubaham.

The only information collected on the PowerBI Robots web application is the user's email when a new account is created. That email is used to identify the user and send him or her notifications regarding PowerBI Robots such as updates or policy changes. The PowerBI Robots agent doesn't collect any personal information. All information used on the PowerBI Robots agent is stored locally, on the user's infrastructure. 

The images and PDFs are always generated locally on the computer running the agent. There is an option to generate slideshow visualizations and, in this case, the generated images are uploaded to an Azure Blob Storage owned by DevScope, although we can make available a feature to upload to your own Azure Blob Storage. If you generate PDFs or your target is filesystem, the generated content is stored on the local storage or where you specify it.

There are two points in time when PowerBI Robots asks you for your Power BI credentials: when configuring the Agent and when creating the playlist. It only asks for credentials because the only way we to display and generate images form Power BI is to use the powerBI SDK and we need to provide Power BI with a security token to access its data. This security token is returned by the PowerBI SDK and is always stored as a session cookie locally with an expiration date and according to OAUTH protocol. Your browser will use this token/cookie stored locally when you are creating the playlist, and the agent running locally will use this cookie when rendering the images.

Hope that helps.

Shubham Member

Hi DevScope, Thanks for sharing the details. It seems good if I download the agent in my local but what about if I go thru Web.

Like in attached screenshot, I can create a subscription directly on Web and it is asking for the Permissions to access my all Workgroups/Dashboards/Reports/Datasets etc.

What about the data confidentiality here. 

Thanks,

ShubhamUntitled.pngScreenshot_1.jpg

Regular Visitor

PowerBI Robots requires you to use both the desktop and the web agent. The latter is used for playlist configuration while the former is where you set everything up and make it run directly from your computer.

PowerBI Robots needs all those permissions because that's what you're going to select to send though it, via email, to a SharePoint library or file sytem. The authentication token generated by accepting those permissions in the web agent is only stored in your browser and never in our servers so your confidentiallity is 100% guaranteed.

Highlighted
Clara Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hey everybody;

I plan on trying out PBI Robots since it seems to have worked alright for all of you, but has there been any talk about Microsoft implementing these features to Power BI? (Most of all, to me, the ability to subscribe outsiders/users who don't have licenses to my reports)