Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

PowerBI Robots - Does Microsoft plan on doing something similar?

Recently Devscope release PBI Robots. I have played with the trial and am very impressed.
However, before I go and spend over $1000 on this software, does Microsoft have something similar planned? I.e. the ability to broadcast reports to a web link, schedule PDF emails of reports, etc?

Accepted Solutions
Super User

Re: PowerBI Robots - Does Microsoft plan on doing something similar?

There are currently some similar features, Publish to Web, save as PowerPoint and you can subscribe to reports to get a screen shot sent when the data refreshese. Other than that, I am not currently aware of anything that would replicate that functionality. However, I would check the Ideas forum and see what is currently in progress or planned.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

There are currently some similar features, Publish to Web, save as PowerPoint and you can subscribe to reports to get a screen shot sent when the data refreshese. Other than that, I am not currently aware of anything that would replicate that functionality. However, I would check the Ideas forum and see what is currently in progress or planned.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Regular Visitor

Hi Jake,

I am in the same boat with our customers/my boss wanting pdf reports emailed. I recently discovered the power bi robots software. I was wondering if you would be willing to share some of your experience with that tool with me. I think that eventually, Microsoft will incorporate this kind of email capability, but as of right now it doesn't look like it is going to happen near term. 

Any comments or reactions to the PowerBi Robots software would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi there. It is great software and I honestly can’t imagine Microsoft releasing anything similar in the near future. It is pretty expensive so I don’t want to make the investment if Microsoft ends up doing something similar. You can use the free trial, it is fully functional but just has watermarks on the images.
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the help. I am also concerned about the cost and also about the security. I really would rather just use features within the Power Bi web space rather than giving access to yet another company to do it third party. I plan on doing a test, but I highly doubt that my company can go that route. 

Regular Visitor

I tested out PowerBIRobots for a couple of days then bought the year license yesterday. Clearly I like the product; it's quite powerful and very user-friendly. The built-in PBI report subscription functionality is so terrible. Note that you have to host PBIRobots on a server somewhere -- we're using an always-on laptop.

Regular Visitor

Further updates on my experience with Power BI Robots. I really like the product, it's extremely simple to use and quite powerful. It's allowed me to do some impressive report distribution work among managers at my company. To my mind this addresses a major missing link in the native Power BI feature set: now PBI reports are pushed to recipients whenever I like, rather than hoping the people log into PBI. The product is v1.0 (I think it just got upgraded to 1.1) so still very early, but it's certainly production-ready. Note that it won't work if you have any (as far as I can tell) mobile visuals on your report (that one took me a while to debug). 

Regular Visitor

A further update on Power BI Robots, a month in: I really like it! It's really powerful stuff, and very simple to use. You can see it's a v1 product as there's still lots of room for enhancements and also the documentation is a bit lacking but still it's dead simple to run it, provided you have a computer you can use as an always-on server for the little agent the service requires. It's really changed how we use Power BI at our company - now I'm just pushing daily reports out to people, rather than people logging into PBI much. Even though the Robots reports are static, that's plenty good enough for most of our users. And you don't need PBI licenses (or the log-in or access hassles that can come along with those), you can email to anyone in your org. (I notice that Robots doesn't seem to allow me to email to aliases or emails outside our org.) For us Robots was the last piece of our PBI puzzle, now it's rapidly becoming ubiquitous in our org.

Regular Visitor

Check out my posts below about Power BI Robots - I'm a big fan (and I have zero connection to the company, I'm a regular paying customer). One thing I've realized is that I've been able to cut back on Power BI licenses with the Robots product, as the majority of my users don't want to log into PBI in any case, they really just want the reports delivered to them in email, which is what Robots allows and without PBI licenses. Hope this helps.

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Does PowerBI Robot work with row level security? Or in case there is no row level security, can it send out filtered reports to different users based on a table or something? For example, let's say I have a table somewhere (Excel or PowerBI or database) that lists users and their respective regions. I have a powerBI report that includes all regions and can be filtered by regions. Now, I want an automatic Powerbi Robot job that will send user1 a filtered copy of the powerBI report that will only display the regions user1 has access to (based on the user-region table). Now, if the next day, the table gets updated giving user1 access to a different region and removing access from the old region, will powerBI Robot be able to automatically update it's job based on the table so that it only sends user1 report filtered on the new region?

Thanks!