Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stack23
Advocate II
Advocate II

PowerBI Pro Web Read User Access Level

Hi, I want to obtain a license for PowerBI Pro.

I will be the only one creating reports, and then I will publish the reports for 1000+ read users on a web portal.

(a) I know I will be paying $9.99/month.  Will the other 1000+ users have to pay $9.99 per month? The thousand users will be Not be creating reports, only reading them from a provided dataset SQL Server Stored Srocedure query.

(b) If the stored procedure returns a select data table, can the 1000+ web portal users, slice, filter, pivot, aggregate the data with interactive functions provided in Power BI?  What functions can end users conduct with a provided data set, (what functions are differentiated by read users, and as opposed to development)?

We are trying to avoid SSRS, since we have to provide SSRS a set of Static default filters.

I want Power BI Users the ability to create their own slicer filters as need, drill down, and pivot, aggregate data as needed,  given a data set relationship or query. 

5 REPLIES 5
stack23
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi, I want to obtain a license for PowerBI Pro. I will be the only one creating reports, and then I will publish the reports for 1000+ read users on a web portal.

(a) I know I will be paying $9.99/month. Will the other 1000+ users have to pay $9.99 per month? The thousand users will be Not be creating reports, only reading them from a provided dataset SQL Server Stored Srocedure query.

(b) If the stored procedure returns a select data table, can the 1000+ web portal users, slice, filter, pivot, aggregate the data with interactive functions provided in Power BI? What functions can end users conduct with a provided data set, (what functions are differentiated by read users, and as opposed to development)?

We are trying to avoid SSRS, since we have to provide SSRS a set of Static default filters. I want Power BI Users the ability to create their own slicer filters as need, drill down, and pivot, aggregate data as needed, given a data set relationship or query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because the Power BI reports have a server side cost, there is a license required for any type of sharing/collaboration unless you wish to use "Publish to the web" which opens the report up to the entire internet.

I would suggest looking into Power BI Premium as it will give you a capacity and allow free users to view the context.  You would still need that pro license for the authoring and distribution.

Premium also gives you access to Power BI embeded, if that adds value to how you will distribute the reports.

1) Ok , so if I publish to internet, its free for 1000 +users

What if I publish to internal application, is it still free?  (Power BI Embedded - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Get-reports-to-company-private-web/td-p/105977)

2) If its published to the internet, can the 1000+ web portal can the users, slice, filter, pivot, aggregate the data with interactive functions provided in Power BI? We are trying to avoid SSRS, since SSRS provides set of Static default filters. I want Power BI Users the ability to create their own slicer filters as need, drill down, and pivot, aggregate data as needed, given a data set relationship or query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The publish to the web feature lets you take a report and it creates a Web URL that anyone on the internet can access.  Your users and anyone who can find the URL.  They can do anything on the report that you have allowed.

Publish to the Web is not the same as embedded.  To use Embedded, you will either need the Premium capacity or the Embedded capacity, so you can embed it directly into applications and websites.  There are Web Parts for SharePoint Online and other office product, but users will need Pro or you'll need premium.

None of the above will give your users free range to make their own reports, however they will be able to use the filtering you have provided with slicers.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi stack23,

I would recommend you to use "publish to web" and share the website with others. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web. Also, you can build a third-party web application using power bi rest api. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/ .

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors