Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Premium license

Hi,

We are testing the PowerBI Premium license and one user keeps getting this error:

Data source error: Unable to save the changes since the new dataset of size 2742 MB exceeds the limit of 1024 MB. If the dataset is hosted on a PowerBI Premium capacity, you may also reach out to your capacity administrator to see if the limit can be adjusted.

Do we also have to get a Premium capacity license? The user already has a P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Premium Per User license is a user-based purchase, while the Premium license is a capacity-based purchase.

If only one user needs a dataset greater than 1G , only one user is required to purchase a PPU license and upload the report to the workspace set to the PPU capacity.

vtangjiemsft_0-1665644444109.png

Note that users must have a Premium Per User (PPU) license to access content in a Premium Per User (PPU) workspace or app.

Refer to :Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep looking at the licenses and I find it a bit confusing.

So besides a Premium per user license assigned to the user, do we also need a Power BI Capacity for the organization? As far as I can see, these capacity licenses are quite expensive so it's not really worth it if only one person uses PowerBI and needs more than 1 GB.

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Premium Per User license is a user-based purchase, while the Premium license is a capacity-based purchase.

If only one user needs a dataset greater than 1G , only one user is required to purchase a PPU license and upload the report to the workspace set to the PPU capacity.

vtangjiemsft_0-1665644444109.png

Note that users must have a Premium Per User (PPU) license to access content in a Premium Per User (PPU) workspace or app.

Refer to :Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You should have at least a P1 or an A4 SKU for any datasets larger than one GB.

The following table shows the recommended SKUs for uploading or publishing a .pbix file to the Power BI service:

vtangjiemsft_0-1665387351672.png

Note that you need to allocate Premium capacity to your workspace.

1. Edit a workspace by selecting the ellipsis (. . .) then selecting Edit this workspace.

vtangjiemsft_3-1665387656850.png

1. Under Edit this workspace, expand Advanced.
  2. Select the capacity that you want to assign this workspace to.

vtangjiemsft_4-1665387656853.png

1. Select Save.

Once saved, the workspace and all its contents are moved into Premium capacity without any experience interruption for end users.

Reference documentation:

Configure and manage capacities in Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

edhans
Super User
Super User

Do you mean a Premium Per User license? Because users otherwise don't have "premium" licenses. A company has a Premium capacity license.

If it is PPU, those can be up to 100GB, but the workspace must be set as a PPU capacity, otherwise it is Pro, and Pro does cap out at 1GB. Click on the Workspace settings, Premium tab, and change the workspace to a PPU setting, then have the user try again.

edhans_0-1665155986733.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, we are testing the Premium per user trial and the one person using it complained about the capacity.

I haven't purchased any license for the company, but I see it is required. I have nothing in this list:

BogdanChe_0-1665404573663.png

@edhansI cannot find the section for the setting you've suggested. Is it in the Admin Portal for PowerBI?

This is what I can see:

BogdanChe_1-1665405007236.png

@Anonymous go to the side panel and click on the area where you can select workspaces. Click on the ellipses next to one and then Workspace Settings

edhans_0-1665413185475.png

Then click the Premium tab. It will take 5-10 seconds for the PPU section to become available for selecting. I think it is doing a license check.

edhans_1-1665413238642.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors