Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidJLitttle
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Pass-through Authentication for Data source

I have a scenario that may be just me misunderstanding something ...

If i create a report in PowerBI Desktop, and use OData sources using my Organisational (O365 AD) account ..

I then uplaod that report to the PowerBI Service

(Am I currect in believeing at this point, the data is static, as to whetever i last refreshed it with?)

I then set it to Scheduled refresh and to use a gateway .. i have to specify data source credentials on the pBI service here .. BUT what if i want the credentials (and hence the permissions) of the user viewing the report to be used to access the data ? How can this be done on a gateway ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DavidJLitttle Yes, it is static when you use "import" (default) connection method. Typically you filter and manage what people see using Row Level Security in the Power BI Model. There are only a few connections (live connection to Analysis Services) and (I believe Azure SQL via direct query) that allow passing end user creds. I'd recommend looking into RLS.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@DavidJLitttle Yes, it is static when you use "import" (default) connection method. Typically you filter and manage what people see using Row Level Security in the Power BI Model. There are only a few connections (live connection to Analysis Services) and (I believe Azure SQL via direct query) that allow passing end user creds. I'd recommend looking into RLS.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors