Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BM4291
Resolver I
Resolver I

PowerBI Paginated - 400 Error

Hi,

I've been getting an error on paginated reporting since Friday and across multiple different reports; I can't see anything to suggest the service is down or has had any outages. I can connect to the same data, using the same credentials fine in desktop.

When I try to connect in the report builder application I also get the same error... Any help greatly appreciated as a number of business processes are soon to be affected if the outage continues.

I created and published the initial reports also and am the capacity admin. Below is the error I got when checking this morning.

Could not connect to the data source.
There was an error communicating with Analysis Services. Please verify that the data source is available and your credentials are correct. The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

Technical Details:
RootActivityId: 5aabdd5b-678a-40b4-b1f0-17752d43bcde
Date (UTC): 8/12/2019 8:36:54 AM
Activity ID: 4f3b8ee0-90cd-f290-c09f-f4a647e5165d
Request ID: 4f3b8ee0-90cd-f290-c09f-f4a647e5165d
Correlation ID: 5a85d37ab609438fbe5866aa3d4520cf
Status code: 200
Time: Mon Aug 12 2019 09:36:54 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Cluster URI: https://northeurope.pbidedicated.windows.net/webapi/capacities/EE234B09-CC80-48C6-87E2-AD3ECFFC0C7E/...

6 REPLIES 6
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BM4291 ,

You need a Power BI Pro license to publish a report to the service. You can publish and share paginated reports in your My Workspace or in app workspaces, as long as the workspace is in a Power BI Premium capacity. Also, a Power BI admin needs to enable paginated reports in the Premium capacities section of the Power BI admin portal.

For the initial release of paginated reports in the Power BI service, you create embedded data sources and datasets in the report itself. For now, you can't use shared data sources or shared datasets. You create reports in Report Builder on your local computer. If a report connects to on-premises data, after you upload the report to the Power BI service, you need to create a gateway and redirect the data connection. Here are the data sources you can connect to at this time:

• Azure SQL Database and Data Warehouse
  • Azure Analysis Services (via SSO)
  • SQL Server via a gateway
  • SQL Server Analysis Services via a gateway
  • Power BI Premium Datasets
  • Oracle
  • Teradata
  • Additional sources as they're added

You can see more detail: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-report-builder-power-bi.

In addition, you may refer to the troubleshooting links:

https://wikifixes.com/en/errors/0x/%20error%20400%20bad%20request?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9q6184__4wIVDqyW...,

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-for-microsoft-office-365-f47/the-remote-server-returned-an-err....

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xicai 

I have a Pro license and am the capacity admin of our premium tenancy; there have been no issues with using paginated reports until last Friday when this error started to appear. Several have been set up within the organisation yet they are all now failing.

I've raised a ticket with our IT provider as it sounds like a local issue.

The underlying data source used in the report looks to be the issue: "There was an error communicating with Analysis Services. Please verify that the data source is available and your credentials are correct. "

Hi @bradsy 

This is the issue;  I'm connecting to a PowerBI data source that I created and that I can access fine via Desktop. It is when I'm trying to use it via a paginated report that it isn't working.

Is it possible the PBI Datasource\PBIX file changed? Deleted and recreated? Moved? Renamed?

If you can download the report and get Report Builder to connect, then it should work when uploaded as well.

jyuan
Frequent Visitor

I am having the exact same issue with my paginated report. Is there a solution for it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors