Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nwaringa

PowerBI - Key Management

I read through the September 2016 PowerBI security whitepaper (Located here, Microsoft Trust Center). Worth noting... the feedback address listed in the document bounces back all email sent to it.

In particular the encryption section and all information I can find online still has me scratching my head. Can you help provide some answers to the questions below:

• I gather that data imported into PowerBI is sent to Azure Blob storage. I also understand Microsoft is using  random 256-bit AES keys for storage.
    • Can these keys be defined in Azure Key Vault by the customer/tenant via a Bring your Own Key or Hold your Own Key scenario?
    • Both KEK and CEK or merely CEK? Does this handle any other keys I should be aware of?
    • How about the metadata stored in the Azure SQL repository?
  • For PowerBI Mobile, Page 18 suggests “Data is cached in storage on the device, which is not directly encrypted by the application itself”
    • Does this mean that the cached data is stored in the clear on any mobile device with the application?
      • If so, can mobile functionality be limited or turned off in the PowerBI interface?

Answers on these would greatly help us out.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates on this ??

mgajera
Frequent Visitor

Hi Nick,

My company is looking to implement Power BI only if we can have BYOK facility available. Or to disable Import Option in Power BI altogether.

Did you find any further information than Power Security paper. If you have are you plese able to share it?

Thanks in advance

Mayur

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

As for the last question, I am not aware of any tenant setting to disable mobile access.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors