Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sclement
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Integration with multiple sharepoint

I was wondering if there is a way to use metadata on the SharePoint page to drive the filters of an embedded power bi report.

For example, in an automotive company, each sales showroom (eg: Ford, Toyota, BMW) will have its own sharepoint Page and the company would like to present on that page the number of sales and gross per sale for the sales people working in that department.  

Salesperson

Avg Gross

A

B

C

If A is the only employee of Toyota Team, then anyone in Toyota Team would only see PowerBI report with A’s details in their sharepoint.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sclement ,

Have you managed security on your data model in Power BI Service like below?

Icey_0-1642752436076.png

Reference: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I tried this. Eventhough when I filtered the data for a certain department usiand given the premission to view the department data view to my manager, but he was able to see the all data without filtering. Was it because he is the owner of sharepoint?

No, it doesn't matter if it is the owner of SharePoint or not, it has to do with the role in the Workspace.

What's your manager's role in the corresponding workspace? He/She can only be a "Viewer", or none role of the workspace. RLS doesn't work for Admin, Member, and Contributor in workspace.

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a new workspace experience in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace. Even if Viewers are given Build permissions to the dataset, RLS still applies.

Reference: Using RLS with workspaces in Power BI

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sclement
Regular Visitor

Hi Icey,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried this. Eventhough when I filtered the data for a certain department usiand given the premission to view the department data view to my manager, but he was able to see the all data without filtering. Was it because he is the owner of sharepoint?

Sorry, as I am just beginer and so I am not familar with all these. Can you help me sort this out?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Sachin

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sclement ,

Have you managed security on your data model in Power BI Service like below?

Icey_0-1642752436076.png

Reference: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

No, it doesn't matter if it is the owner of SharePoint or not, it has to do with the role in the Workspace.

What's your manager's role in the corresponding workspace? He/She can only be a "Viewer", or none role of the workspace. RLS doesn't work for Admin, Member, and Contributor in workspace.

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a new workspace experience in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace. Even if Viewers are given Build permissions to the dataset, RLS still applies.

Reference: Using RLS with workspaces in Power BI

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sclement ,

Have you tried to use Row-level security (RLS)

When using the Embed in SharePoint Online option, the embedded reports respect all item permissions and data security through row-level security (RLS), so you can easily create secure internal portals. For detailed steps, please check:

Embed a report web part in SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

Icey

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors