Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gellmann94
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Integration Inside PowerApps

Hello,

I want to embed a PowerBI Dashboard inside a PowerApp, and I am sorting the details of this.
I looked around the documentation, but could not find an answer to these questions:

1)If I embed a Tile from a Dashboard, then all the users who are meant to access the tile inside PowerApps are supposed to be PowerBI Pro Users with access to the dashboard? (I assume the answer is yes, but I want to be sure)

2)How exactly the embedding works? Assuming that the answer to question 1 is yes, then I would assume that no capacity is needed, since everything is regulated and accessed by PowerBI Pro Accounts. Am I right?

If my guesses are wrong, please correct me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nicola94 

Its better to think of it in terms of a 'viewer' - would the users when viewing it normally use that capacity? Do they currently require a license to view it?

Whatever the answer is to those, the same will apply when embedding it within PowerApps.

PowerApps is only really creating a PowerBI object that works within the App, so you are effectively 'using' PowerBI, it just looks like its part of the App, so any existing limitations or requirements or resources will still be there, required and used.

Link to the article on premium capacity

Hope this answers your question!

Sancho

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @nicola94 

Yes, embedded dashboards still require the person accessing it to have a PowerBI Pro license (when the app starts they will be prompted to make/allow the connection). However, if they are shared using a license that doesn't require everyone to have a license (i.e Premium) then it will fall under the capacity of your existing Premium license.

Hope this helps!

Sancho

Hi Sancho, and thanks for the reply.

Regarding the Premium capacity, do you know if the same logic applies to a Azure Capacity?
Meaning, if the workspace where the dashboards resides in, is backed by Azure Capacity, I would not require a personal Power BI Pro license, right?

Hi @nicola94 

Its better to think of it in terms of a 'viewer' - would the users when viewing it normally use that capacity? Do they currently require a license to view it?

Whatever the answer is to those, the same will apply when embedding it within PowerApps.

PowerApps is only really creating a PowerBI object that works within the App, so you are effectively 'using' PowerBI, it just looks like its part of the App, so any existing limitations or requirements or resources will still be there, required and used.

Link to the article on premium capacity

Hope this answers your question!

Sancho

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors