Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lightninhopkins

PowerBI Gateway permissions

Hello,

I am currently running the following configuration in Azure:

PowerBI -> VM with PowerBI Gateway in vnetA -> VM with SQL Server in vnetB

VnetA and VnetB are peered

The VnetA and VnetB have inbound and outbound rules set to AllowAllVnetInbound\AllowAllVnetOutbound

Once I set this up I can see the gateway in my PowerBI instance. When I try to add a datasource to the SQL server in vnetB, however, it is unable to connect. 

I can make it connect by adding the IP address of the Gateway VM directly to the inbound rules of the VnetB Network Security Group, but due to scale this is not a good solution.

Anyone have an idea why the network peering in this case is not allowing the connection?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lightninhopkins

I figured it out:

The problem was that the domain name of the SQL server in VnetB was being resolved to the external IP by the gateway. Switching it to the internal IP when adding the data source resolved the issue

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lightninhopkins

I figured it out:

The problem was that the domain name of the SQL server in VnetB was being resolved to the external IP by the gateway. Switching it to the internal IP when adding the data source resolved the issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors