Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI Gateway - Personal to Enterprise - User and Admin question

We have several users with their own personal gateway set up.  The IS team would like to create an enterprise gateway and create connections, so reports can be scheduled to refresh, and shared more easily.

The IT team has created an enterprise gateway.  A few datasources have been added. The datasources are SQL Server sources, with the names matching the names used in the personal gateway.  The IT team are admins for the gateway, the user who created the report and has the personal gateway has been added as a user to the Enterprise gateway.  

The user cannot see the enterprise gateway as a data source.  

A few questions on this:

1.  Does the user who created the personal gateway need to be an administrator in the enterprise gateway?   

2.  Does the user who published the report need to be added in the 'users' list for each datasource?

3.  Do the users who will be using the reoprt need to be added in the 'users' list for each datasource?

4.  Since the enterprise gateway is not appearing for the user, is there some configuration or setup that needs to be completed?  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @19873306 ,

the gateway is used to push the data in a report. But the report should be published befor :). The Desktop can connect directly to the data source there is no gateway needed (you can't set a scheduel refresh in the desktop).

I think it's better to use the enterprise gateway and give the persons the permissions the need. A personal gateway is only for personal purpose (That's the way I would use it and I do so :D).

Best,

Kathrin

May be this link can help as well: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @19873306,

I'd like to add a few points to @KBO:

The personal and enterprise gateway (EG) have no notion of each other. A personal gateway is usually installed on a laptop or PC, an EG preferably on a server in your domain.

The answers to your questions:

1. Does the user who created the personal gateway need to be an administrator in the enterprise gateway?
    No, not necessarily. An admin in the EG can add entries to data sources to the gateway. Once added, the users on the Users tab can publish reports and setup a scheduled refresh for this datasource.
  2. Does the user who published the report need to be added in the 'users' list for each datasource?
    Yes. Otherwise this user cannot set the scheduled refresh options in the dataset settings (with Import) or configure the Scheduled Cache Refresh options (with DirectQuery).
  3. Do the users who will be using the reoprt need to be added in the 'users' list for each datasource?
    No, this is not necessary.
  4. Since the enterprise gateway is not appearing for the user, is there some configuration or setup that needs to be completed?
    The report developer that publishes the report needs to be a user to all the data sources used in the model. So if there are 2 connections in the report, the users needs to be added as a user to both those gateway entries in the EG.

If you have any remaining questions please let us know.

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi @19873306 ,

• What rights/access are graned by adding someone as an adminstirators to the gateway? 

Assigning administrators to users means they have access to the entire gateway and control all the data sources in it. For example, they can schedule refresh optionally, view the reports with DQ mode and Live connection and etc..

(Note: you need to give them access of workspace and then they can refresh. Referencec: Roles in the new workspaces )

If we just add users into the specific data source users list, they will be only allowed to publish reports that include data from the data source. Report owners can create dashboards, content packs, and apps, and then share those items with other users. And they can use the data source but can't see the EG in their gateway list. 

For your situation, I think you want to just give access to a user role and they can see the gateway as well. Maybe you could create gateway clusters to have a try. Clusters are used that let gateway admins avoid having a single point of failure for on-premises data access. If the primary gateway is unavailable, data requests are routed to the second gateway that you add, and so on. You could reference the documents to learn more. If it don't match your requirement, it might be the best choice to grant users to administrators.

Add another gateway to create a cluster

Manage on-premises data gateway high-availability clusters and load balancing 

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

9 REPLIES 9
KBO
MVP

Hi @19873306 ,

may be the new video from Guy in a Cube can answer some of your questions ;): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlv1tbuZNcM

Best,

Kathrin

Thanks!  In the video, he had created the report and personal gateway.  In our case, a user created the report and personal gateway.  The IT team is now setting up an enterprise gateway server.  Datasources were created with the same name for server and for database.  The user is not seeing the enterprise gateway server listed as an option in Gateway Connection in the report.  The user is listed as a 'user' on the datasources on the enterprise gateway. 

Also, we are using PowerBI Desktop.  Can the enterprise gateway be used by PowerBI Desktop, or web only? To clarify - the report was created by a user in powerBI desktop, then published.  Can the enterprise gateway be used in this case?

Hi @19873306 ,

the gateway is used to push the data in a report. But the report should be published befor :). The Desktop can connect directly to the data source there is no gateway needed (you can't set a scheduel refresh in the desktop).

I think it's better to use the enterprise gateway and give the persons the permissions the need. A personal gateway is only for personal purpose (That's the way I would use it and I do so :D).

Best,

Kathrin

May be this link can help as well: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @19873306,

I'd like to add a few points to @KBO:

The personal and enterprise gateway (EG) have no notion of each other. A personal gateway is usually installed on a laptop or PC, an EG preferably on a server in your domain.

The answers to your questions:

1. Does the user who created the personal gateway need to be an administrator in the enterprise gateway?
    No, not necessarily. An admin in the EG can add entries to data sources to the gateway. Once added, the users on the Users tab can publish reports and setup a scheduled refresh for this datasource.
  2. Does the user who published the report need to be added in the 'users' list for each datasource?
    Yes. Otherwise this user cannot set the scheduled refresh options in the dataset settings (with Import) or configure the Scheduled Cache Refresh options (with DirectQuery).
  3. Do the users who will be using the reoprt need to be added in the 'users' list for each datasource?
    No, this is not necessary.
  4. Since the enterprise gateway is not appearing for the user, is there some configuration or setup that needs to be completed?
    The report developer that publishes the report needs to be a user to all the data sources used in the model. So if there are 2 connections in the report, the users needs to be added as a user to both those gateway entries in the EG.

If you have any remaining questions please let us know.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I met with the user today.  He did not see the gateway as an option.  I confirmed that he had 2 data sources for the report. The data sources were listed in the enterprise gateway.  The name of the data sources, including the database name and server name, mathched exactly to what he had set up.  He was set up as a user for both data sources.  

Since we weren't sure why the enterpise gateway wasn' apeparing, we added him as an adminstrators on the gateway.  The gateway then appeared as an option.

What rights/access are graned by adding someone as an adminstirators to the gateway? 

Regarding security for the data sources, do places set up individual users for PowerBI to use?  

Hi @19873306 ,

• What rights/access are graned by adding someone as an adminstirators to the gateway? 

Assigning administrators to users means they have access to the entire gateway and control all the data sources in it. For example, they can schedule refresh optionally, view the reports with DQ mode and Live connection and etc..

(Note: you need to give them access of workspace and then they can refresh. Referencec: Roles in the new workspaces )

If we just add users into the specific data source users list, they will be only allowed to publish reports that include data from the data source. Report owners can create dashboards, content packs, and apps, and then share those items with other users. And they can use the data source but can't see the EG in their gateway list. 

For your situation, I think you want to just give access to a user role and they can see the gateway as well. Maybe you could create gateway clusters to have a try. Clusters are used that let gateway admins avoid having a single point of failure for on-premises data access. If the primary gateway is unavailable, data requests are routed to the second gateway that you add, and so on. You could reference the documents to learn more. If it don't match your requirement, it might be the best choice to grant users to administrators.

Add another gateway to create a cluster

Manage on-premises data gateway high-availability clusters and load balancing 

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Hi @v-xuding-msft,

I'd like to clarify your remarks a bit:

@v-xuding-msft wrote:

Hi @19873306 ,

Assigning administrators to users means they have access to the entire gateway and control all the data sources in it.

The above statement is correct. In addition, they can also add new entries to the gateway.

@v-xuding-msft wrote:

For example, they can schedule refresh optionally, view the reports with DQ mode and Live connection and etc..

In my opinion, this is NOT correct. Because you still need access to a workspace to view reports. As long as you don't have that you can not view reports currently published.

Hi @nickyvv ,

Yes, you are right. We still need access of workspace. I didn't explain thoroughly. Thanks for pointing out.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors