Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Gateway Datasource

Hi,

I have made a report with power bi desktop and I have published it.

Online i want to connect this with an existing datasource SQL (The data source is part of a gateway)

The settings of this data source is equal to the source in my report (SQL server and table).

How do i have to connect this report with this datasource?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lex,

You can't select the same Gateway for the Report B even though the data source had been added when you created Report A. Is this the scenario?

As we can see from the snapshot below, a data source of a Gateway only needs Server and Database. So the possible cause could be the Server name are different. For example, "localhost" in the Gateway while "ServerName" in the dataset. Please check out.

Power_BI_Gateway_Datasource

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

You could follow the steps below from my blog post which explain how to do it with an Oracle database, which you could substitute with SQL Server.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/04/26/power-bi-on-premise-gateway-configuration-steps-to-an-oracle-database/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi GilbertQ

Thanks, but I do not mean that.

I have online (in Power BI Service) already created a data source for report A.

Now I want to link report B to the same data source.

The existing data source is the same as the data source that is used in report B (SQL).

It seems that you have to create your own data source for each new report. Strange right?

Lex

Hi Lex,

If the report B is already created, I'm afraid we can't link the data source again in Power BI Service. We can still change the data source in the Power BI Desktop. 

Another scenario, if you want to use the same dataset that is already in the Service, it's the dataset of report A here, we can connect to the dataset in Desktop and publish the report B to the same workspace. Now report A and report B have the same dataset. Reference: power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets.

Why not create the report B in the Service based on the dataset of report A directly?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

Sorry, it is difficult for me to explain.

I have made report A in Power BI Desktop.

The datasource in this report is SQL Server X and database 1.

From database 1 I have selected a table 1A

I have published this report A and connected it in Power BI Service to a datasource (Data source type: SQL server, Server X and Database 1) of the gateway.

Daily refresh of this report is working correctly.

So far so good.

Report B (als made in Power BI Desktop).

Datasource in this report is the same as report A (SQL Server X and database 1).

From database 1 I have selected table 1B.

I have published this report also.

In Power BI Service I want to connect this report to the same datasource in the gateway as above: Data source type: SQL server, Server X and Database 1

And this is not possible. Why not?

With regards

Lex

Hi Lex,

You can't select the same Gateway for the Report B even though the data source had been added when you created Report A. Is this the scenario?

As we can see from the snapshot below, a data source of a Gateway only needs Server and Database. So the possible cause could be the Server name are different. For example, "localhost" in the Gateway while "ServerName" in the dataset. Please check out.

Power_BI_Gateway_Datasource

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors