Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Merry
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Embedded Service Principal PowerBINotAuthorizedException with Viewer accesse

I implemented powerBi embeded in an onpremise application and used the Service Principal method.

Everything works fine and report is showing correctly . The service Principal has Admin or Memebr access in power BI Workspace that the report exists as it is suggested in the below link

Embed Power BI content in an embedded analytics application with service principal and an applicatio...

However I do not understand why we need the Memeber or Admin access in Power BI Workspace for that service principal?

If I change the access to View or Contributer I will get 401 on error PowerBINotAuthorizedException when calling PowerBiEmbedToken

Any Insignt Will be apprecaited.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi 

Because you can only be a Member or Admin to use Service Principal for Authentication methode

Embed content in your Power BI embedded analytics application - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

aj1973_0-1624295848548.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Merry 

I think this thread can help you out!

Solved: Embedding Service principle AppOwnsData 401 Servic... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi Thanks for the response but the link you provided did not answered my question

1- I already toggling the Allow service principals in PowerBto access Power BI APIs setting to enabled

2- I created Azure Active directory Security Group and added My APID to it

3- Added this security group to my Workspace in Power BI

4- Gave Admin/member access

Everything works fine and i get my embeded report

My questions is why do I need to give Admin or Memebr access why cant i just give the Viewer or Contributer access to that security group? Viewer has read access and should be able to see the content of the report in power bI . Why do i need to give the higher access?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi 

Because you can only be a Member or Admin to use Service Principal for Authentication methode

Embed content in your Power BI embedded analytics application - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

aj1973_0-1624295848548.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

I saw this and that is why i set it to Admin/member but i dont understand why?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors