Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Satya_Machari
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI Embed Approaches ..

Hi Team,

We created  some powerBI reports and deployed into Pro-Licensed workspace and planning to integrate the powerBI reports  into the existing angular application.

When I am searching for powerBI embedding approached I found some below approaches. We have some confusion the below approaches. Please clarify on this to proceed.

Option 1: We can Embed Report -> into Website using iframe code with report Id and URL .So users who are having Pro-licenses they can access it by providing Sign in.

(It is straight forward, But issue was it is asking the Sign In when opening report in angular)

Option 2: Embedding for your organization: Allows the users if they have Pro license.

Question-1:If user having the Pro-License they can embed using this approach without any charges?

Question-2:we found some sample templates for this approach from powerBI site those are in .Net. Do we have any predefined templates for Angular?

Option 3. Embedding for your customers : allows you to embed dashboards and reports to users who don't have a Power BI account.

Question-1:We have PowerBI Pro License, What else is required for this approach please suggest with more details to implement with Cost details?

Question-2:It is applicable the all my powerBI workspace reports?

Another important approach we found is Like: In Angular application importing the ‘powerbi-client’ Module and providing the required accessToken, embedUrland embedReportId to access the reports Into the angular application (uses who are having the Pro-License).

-This approach comes under the Embedding for your organization ?

-If we have valid Pro-License Can we use this to embed the reports?

Please suggest on the above with more details.

Thanks

VenkatSatya

5 REPLIES 5
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, let's see

Embedding for you organization:

1- The pro license it's only require for developers. The readers will use the custom webapp in order to view reports. During the development you can just use the pro account that has a limited amount of embedded tokens. When you want to publish to production environment you need a PowerBi Embedded license turning on dedicated capacity on the workspaces you want to embed. Then de embedded tokens are unlimited and everything becomes in order against a Microsoft Auditory.

2- Well, there is a website with a lot of resources for learning about the development. You can check here: https://playground.powerbi.com/en-us/

Embedding for your customers

1- The same as before. You need a PowerBi Embedded license. Pro for developers and none for viewers. The thing about this approach is that you are taking ownership of the login and security. It's up to you how to handle it. So, Microsoft Work account wouldn't be mandatory. This adds way more hours for the developments unless you purchase a product from a company that already does it like https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/pidata.pi-soft-pibi?tab=Overview&exp=u...

2- Yes. I guess so. I'm not sure about "Personal workspaces", but for sure you can use all shared workspaces. You can turn on the capacity (diamond icon will be shown) on the selected workspaces for embedding in the app.

The last questions are actually the options you have said before. There is no other than the possibilities on this answer.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi Ibarrau,

Thanks for the detailed information .Still we have few questions.

Let’s for example i am considering "Embedding for you organization" and having less group of users with less usage and they are having powerBI - Pro license. So if we embed in reports into angular side .There is no need of purchasing of powerBI Embed license right? Because people are already having pro license and limited usage. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Another one is as i asked previously In  Angular application we can import the powerbi-client’ Module and we can call the powerBI report in that application by providing Access Key ,Report id. We did it in an example.This approach come under Embedding for Organization or Embedding for your customers?

How we know which application is for Organization or Embedding for your customers?

please suggest.

thanks

satya

Hi. It's ok, we can continue answering

As the name says if you "embedding" for customers or for organization you must purchase PowerBi Embedded or Premium (dedicated capacity). That will allow the app to be distributed with free users inside or outside the organization. If all the users are Pro I don't see why would you embedd at all, because all of them can access the Power Bi Service and view reports.

Usually an access token with single credentials requesting an embed token it's for customers. It's almost the same, the difference is the authentication. Both must purchase license, both require writing code, both will show a report in the web app. The embedding for organization means using Azure AD login for users, the embedding for customers means you can login with one account for all users. The customers option will let you show people reports without login at all. Of course that's not safe, that's why I said before that it's good if you build your own custom login for embedding for customer.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi Ibarrau,

Thanks for your support and providing the suggestions.

Please help on the below points..

As per the above details provided by you my understanding is   ,even if the group of users having the Pro-License also it we want to integrate the powerBI report into any web application (using Iframe).We need to purchase the embed license and that same for embed for organization or embed for customer.

Please suggest me with price details for small set of power bi reports to integrate into angular web site using IFrame model and please provide any trail version for this and limit.

Thanks

Satya

Before that just rememer you can use the Option 1 with iframe if all your users are pro. They just need to login again when they open the web app.

Alright. For embedding customers or organization you can check about capacities and how much you can use in here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-what-is#capacities-and-skus

You can read about pricing in here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors