Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yjlee1212
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Deployment process - prohibit user from publishing to upper-level environment workspaces

Hello,

My team recently started using the new Deployment pipeline feature in PowerBI Service. Is there a way for me to prohibit the users from publishing their reports to either Test or Production environment Workspaces via PowerBI Desktop? My aim is to minimize potential human errors where we publish to `test` or `production environment from the Desktop application instead of `development` workspace.  The ideal workflow would be :

1. Humans make changes to the report in PowerBI desktop and can publish only to the `development` workspace.

2. Then go through the steps in PowerBI Service - Deployment pipeline to deploy the changes to test -> production workspaces.

Thank you for looking into my question! 🙂 

Best,

Yong-Jin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @yjlee1212 

In the process of deploying the pipeline, a new workspace will be generated every time it enters the next stage. For the content, they are related, but for the permissions of the workspace, they don't have to be related, you can define them separately according to your needs. In theory, for those who can deploy pipelines, higher permissions should to be granted at each stage. So for users with only viewer permissions, it can only view the contents of the corresponding workspace.

Reference: Manage who can deploy to production

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @yjlee1212 

In the pbi service, users can publish reports in the workapce and my workspace created by themselves, and the workapce created by others must have permission to enter and view the report. So if you don’t want users to publish reports, you can remove users from the workspace or only grant viewer permissions.

vjaneygmsft_0-1624242570055.png

Reference: Organize work in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-janeyg-msft ,

Thank you for looking into my question. I have a follow-up question to the solution you showed me. If I configure all users with viewer access to `test` and `production` workspaces, can people still deploy reports from `development` workspaces to the other two workspaces via the Deployment pipeline? It would be great to know how the configuration in Workspace and the Deployment pipeline work together.

Thanks again!

Yong-Jin

Hi, @yjlee1212 

In the process of deploying the pipeline, a new workspace will be generated every time it enters the next stage. For the content, they are related, but for the permissions of the workspace, they don't have to be related, you can define them separately according to your needs. In theory, for those who can deploy pipelines, higher permissions should to be granted at each stage. So for users with only viewer permissions, it can only view the contents of the corresponding workspace.

Reference: Manage who can deploy to production

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors