Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Abhimanyus
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Dataset Size

Hi All,

I work as a part of PowerBi admin in my organization. We have multiple workspaces present in premium capacity and we charge to different team as per the report dataset.

I am looking for an option to findout all the datasets in PowerBI apps and its size. Do we have any option to find out the information or only I can get the information from usage metrics report.

Thanks,

Abhimanyu

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The short answer is yes, but i'd caution you in using data size as your main charge out metric.

If you go to the Apps section of Power BI, there is a Premium Capacity Metrics.  This will provide you with a number of reports to have a look at what is being used on your capacity.

Now onto the caution.  Storage is certainly 1 aspect of your premium capacity, but its not the only resource that is being consumed.  You also need to consider processing power that gets used as reports are being viewed, memory that is being used as things are being imported and processed, as well as, the number of concurrent refreshes your capacity that is allowed.

For example, one of your business areas might set up 6 reports that all refresh every 30 minutes. This could be a tiny dataset that bring down data from a massive query.  All 6 together could use up your capacity, however the resulting datasets could be very small.  If you only look to the size of the dataset, you won't accurate propopation the usage of the capacity.

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your quick response. 

Just would like to confirm, do we have a process to get dataset size through script/ export, as I want to keep this information loaded to another database for future analysis.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not a script or anything technical, its an app provided by Microsoft.  If it in the App area within PowerBI

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your response. I have explored the usage metrics app but the app stores the limited past information. 

I am asking about the altrnative option to extract such information and store for future reference. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could get Audit logs from your Tenant Admin, I believe they have lots of information, however you would have to create a separate report for them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors