Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ruksuro
Helper III
Helper III

PowerBI + DAX features

Apologies if this question isn't appropriate, I can't find any clear answers... my company are considering investing in PowerBI so we are doing feasiblity checks.

Is the following process possible?

• On-prem SQL database ->
  • PowerBI dataset (daily refresh) ->
  • Analyst driven manipulation of dataset using DAX (to save DA time)->
  • Dashboard creation

PowerBI desktop has data manipulation tools (DAX, Data & Relationship Tabs) which provides great flexibility, these don't appear to be present in the service tool though.

Any advice on how PowerBI Pro is supposed to be implemented when accessing on-prem data would be greatly appreciated. The desktop solution doesn't appear to be appropriate as we want a central locaiton for dashboards.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Ruksuro The Desktop is the tool that you will use to author your reports. All DAX, data manipulation, model building, etc. is done in that tool. When you have completed the report, you publish that to the Service. (Publish button in Desktop)

The Service is for sharing, this is where you would build your dashboards or Apps to share with others. There is no ability in the Service to add or modify your model, it shares report building capabilities with the Desktop, but that is it. Its primary function is collaboration and sharing.

Both are part of the complete solution.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@Ruksuro First you would need to download a gatway (most likely the On Premises Data Gateway) then you would publish the PBIX file. And in the Service you would schedule a refresh on the dataset.

That is if you use "Import"

If you use the Direct Query connection, then you wouldn't need to schedule any refresh, the dataset would always be up to date because it queries the database directly via the gateway.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Ruksuro The Desktop is the tool that you will use to author your reports. All DAX, data manipulation, model building, etc. is done in that tool. When you have completed the report, you publish that to the Service. (Publish button in Desktop)

The Service is for sharing, this is where you would build your dashboards or Apps to share with others. There is no ability in the Service to add or modify your model, it shares report building capabilities with the Desktop, but that is it. Its primary function is collaboration and sharing.

Both are part of the complete solution.

Hi Eno, thanks for replying!

So say I build a report locally on desktop based on a database connection, I can then publish this to service for sharing. How is the data then refreshed?

I must be having a slow day!

@Ruksuro First you would need to download a gatway (most likely the On Premises Data Gateway) then you would publish the PBIX file. And in the Service you would schedule a refresh on the dataset.

That is if you use "Import"

If you use the Direct Query connection, then you wouldn't need to schedule any refresh, the dataset would always be up to date because it queries the database directly via the gateway.

Appreciate the help Eno, thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors