Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ostrich160
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Custom Visuals defaulting (Chiclet Slicer)

So I've been trying out the new PowerBI custom visuals, most specifically the Chiclet Slicer, but there seems to be an issue, at least with the slicer. You can easily change things like the border and general styling of it, but when you go off the dashboard, it goes back to its default state. Has anyone else found this, or found a way to fix it?

11 REPLIES 11
kconner
Employee
Employee

I am new to PowerBI

I'm trying to get the chiclet slicer to work with URL images - with no success. I've read all the threads and believe I've done all the necessary steps...can someone help??

i want the chiclet to display a list of countries - with visual of the country flag in the chiclet.

I've setup a "flag" table - query from excel- with 2 columns:  country name | url of flag

and this is related to a table containing products by country

the chiclet settings are:

Category: Country name

Values: Count of Country Name

Image: url of flag

I've changed the data category for the  Flag table to = "url image" which seems to have resolved others issues on this topic.

What's interesting:  if I go into the chiclet formatting, and play with image size, the chiclet responds, but there are no actual images showing. ??

nevermind. I'm stupid. my url's weren't actual image url's as I'd thought. Woman Embarassed

Jpierre
Regular Visitor

Hi,

in the demonstration video, lhe Logo field is used as an image field, but when i try to import binary images in Power Bi Desktop, the field is hidden so i cant use this feature in the chiclet.

How to use iamges in the chiclet now ?

You need to use an image URL.  I store my images in blob and reference the URL fo the image in a table joined to the related field I am showing in the Chiclet.

30Australiahttps://studioblob.blob.core.windows.net/worldflags/Australia.png

I am not sure if this is a limiation or a data problem I am seeing but.  I have 250 country flags that I am trying to render in a Chiclet Slicer.  I get to about 25 images in to the list and then the 25th image repeats for the next entries.

Screen shot attached.   Any ideas.  I check the imageUrls for special characters that might trip up PowerBI but did not see anything signficant.

chiclet_image.PNG

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hum. As it is exactly 25 images, I would guess that it is a limit. Does it only occur if you have only 1 column of icons? Is the cut-off related to the "currently visible elements" (e.g., when you scroll down the slicer it also loads the other pictures)?

By the way: Would you be willing to share your set of icons for the countries? 😮

I gound the icon set with a bing search I will look for the original URL.

I do not think there is a numeric limit as the area where repeating starts seems to be inconsistent.

I am having the same issue as @Jpierre - I want to use images loaded into my database rather than public images and having to make another connection to another system. Getting everything out of SQL is easiest and the most secure. Is this possible?

Cheers.

billzhang1123
Helper II
Helper II

Just curious to know how often MS release upgrades Service? Regarding this issue it was working when this feature was released initially.

@billzhang1123 From my experience with bugs in the service they just get fixed without much fanfare. ie. check your version now, and keep an eye on it prior to re-test. You can see the version by clicking on the "?" and selecting "About Power BI"

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
spiderrob
Advocate III
Advocate III

I'm seeing the same. When modified and saved, returning to the report defaults them to the original state.

I was really excited to see these enabled - hope this is fixed soon. Be also nice to see the warning about Custom visuals only once.

Just seen on the blog that this bug has been acknowledged and is being worked on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors