Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mkowalkowski94
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI + Analysis Services

Hi,
I have a problem.
I have powerBI report based on Azure Analysis Services and it's published on the web.
People who can't access to AS can't access to my report too, although they are in powerBI workspace.
Thanks
Michał K

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @mkowalkowski94,

>>People who can't access to AS can't access to my report too, although they are in powerBI workspace.

Do you means the on-premise AS datasource?

If this is a case, current 'publish to web' feature seems not work on-premise AS datasource.

Limitations

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service, however, the following are not currently supported or available with Publish to web:

1. Reports using row level security.
  2. Reports using Analysis Services Tablular hosted on premises.
  3. Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.
  4. Reports in a group in which you are not an edit member.
  5. "R" Visuals are not currently supported in Publish to web reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks. Do you know any workaroud?

Hi @mkowalkowski94,

Perhaps you can try to submit an idea for this requirement.(I don't think it is possible, AS source requires effectiveusername, which public access users can't provide)

EffectiveUserName

Use when an end user identity must be impersonated on the server. Specify the account in a domain\user format. To use this property, the caller must have administrative permissions in Analysis Services. For more information about using this property in an Excel workbook from SharePoint, see Use Analysis Services EffectiveUserName in SharePoint Server 2013. For an illustration of how this property is used with Reporting Services, see Using EffectiveUserName To Impersonate in SSAS.

EffectiveUserName is used in a Power Pivot for SharePoint installation to capture usage information. The user identity is provided to the server so that events or errors that include user identity can be recorded in the log files. In the case of Power Pivot, it is not used for authorization purposes.

Guy in a Cube - How authentication works with Analysis Services live connections

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Ok, but now I have connect to AS in Azure cloud.

Connection isn't a problem, but permission (for my coworkers) it's a problem.

@mkowalkowski94 As with every "Publish to Web" post I comment on, I will re-iterate that using that method is not secure and you are exposing your data publically. That being said, I would imagine that you need to see what account is being passed to AAD/AAS as the users themselves won't be passed via the Publish to Web report you embedded. There is no authentication via that method and a generic user is most likely being passed that you would have to add to the roles in AAS. I'm partially guessing here as I've never used Publish to Web in this way.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors