Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power bi workspace

Hi,

I have Power BI Pro licence and whatever scorecard I post on the workspace, the user needs pro licence to access it which seems like a huge limitation since whole organisation can't buy pro licence. Can someone please help?

11 REPLIES 11
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

this is how it works, if you publish to a workspace all the users that you will assign to that workspace will need a pro license.

You might consdier tu buy Premium, App that have been created backed by a Premium capacity can be accessd by users without any license.

If your data is not condidential you might consider to use the Publish to web feature, from your "My workspace". Please be aware, that basically everyone who knows the link can access thre report. And there are alos some limitations, e.g. RLS and DirctQuery/LiveConnection are not supported.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

Thank you for your reply. i don't think buying premium is an option for me. However, i like the other idea. Could you please guide me with steps as to how can i publish it through my workspace?

Hey,

this article explains how you can use this feature, please be aware of the security concerns: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. It seems scary. Is there any other option?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Any update on this?

Hi,

the options outlined by Tom are correct.
There is however one other (a bit cheaper) option. You can also get an Embedded SKU opposed to Premium. With that you can do a sort of "secure publish to web".
John White has a good overview of what the difference is between these options: http://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/09/understanding-the-power-bi-capacity-based-skus/.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Nicky. Again, this also doesn't feasible in my situation. Is it possible that i have both pro and basic desktop on my system instead? I can create wider-audience-without-a-need-for-access-restriction in basic desktop and RLS ones in Pro?

That is certainly possible. By sharing the Desktop file (via OneDrive or another network location) they can access the reports.
However:

• They can't refresh the data if they don't have access to the data source(s).
  • You cannot create dashboards in Desktop, which may not be a real limitation on your side.

Correct, for RLS you can use the service and have the users assign a pro license.

Would you be able to provide more information on the scenario that you are trying to accomplish? What would you need? What can and can't you do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure.

I have pro licence and some of my scorecards are RLS based and some are not. Now the ones that are not RLS based, are sort of basic ones that whole organisation would like to access. However, since i create these in my desktop (pro one), they need pro licence to view it when i post it on Workspace. Now, everyone cant afford to get a pro licence and that is the reason i need some sort of way out. i am okay to send the desktop file everytime i update it to the users but even to access that file, they will need to get power BI installed through IT. Hence, i am stuck.

That's true, but they will only have to do that once. And they won't need a pro license to install PBI Desktop. So it might be a valid workaround for you.
And what numbers are we talking about (# of employees)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree but asking everyone to get it installed is a big task and most of them wont raise a ticket to go to IT and get it installed. My audience is about 1k.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors