Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kedarn1991
Frequent Visitor

Power bi service auto refresh failing - all reports

Hello All,

All of sudden, my power bi service (which includes about 40 reports in four different appls) started failing scheduled refresh at the same time, but it refreshes fine in power bi desktop(All the query also runs just fine in SSMS as well). I have also installed data gateway on my pc and it was working fine for the past 6 months until today(I also updated the data gateway for the lastest version). I am using SQL as my datasource(I am thinking I might be having SQL server timeout issue.). Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kedarn1991
Frequent Visitor

Thank you everyone for your response. This problem has been resolved as I deleted my old gateway cluster and recreated a new one. I had added unnecessary data sources which power bi marked it as offline datasources/cluster (I think the ones that were mistyped/Invalid logins/SQL server Name/Database Name etc.). After I recreated new cluster I went back to all of my dataset in power bi service and pointed to the newly created gateway cluster and turned my refresh schedule back on again (power bi disables your refresh schedule if it fails more than 4 times) and everything seems to be working fine. I hope this will help someone who are experiencing the same issue. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kedarn1991
Frequent Visitor

Thank you everyone for your response. This problem has been resolved as I deleted my old gateway cluster and recreated a new one. I had added unnecessary data sources which power bi marked it as offline datasources/cluster (I think the ones that were mistyped/Invalid logins/SQL server Name/Database Name etc.). After I recreated new cluster I went back to all of my dataset in power bi service and pointed to the newly created gateway cluster and turned my refresh schedule back on again (power bi disables your refresh schedule if it fails more than 4 times) and everything seems to be working fine. I hope this will help someone who are experiencing the same issue. Thank you. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I am also experiencing an issue where several datasets are failing to refresh in the Power BI service, but refresh correctly in Power BI Desktop.

The Power BI Service offers the error below in my case, however this does not give any specifics to help identify where the issue lies. "Cancellation occurred when sending or receiving a request. Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details."

Unsure if this is the same issue, but sounds similar - data sources work fine in PBI Desktop and queries return as expected in SSMS.

Cheers

Phil

Deleting your old cluster in power bi service might help if you are using SQL as your datasource.

Best wishes. 

v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Please try to check your refresh history on Power BI Service.

And refer to this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios 

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

edhans
Super User
Super User

Can the service see your gateways? You can manage gateways from the service using the Gear icon, then Manage Gateways. 

Ensure the gateway upgrade you did is running. Make sure the service is running on the PC and launch the app on your PC and make sure it comes up and reports it is running. I've seen installs hang and do weird things so it may not have completed installing correctly. Of course, the first thing to try is a reboot.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors