Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power bi dataset refresh using ADF

Hi All,

I have serached and there is no out of the box ADF activity which refreshes power bi dataset. Either we have to create logic apps or azure function but which is not working if user has access only to ADF and don't have access to other services. I know this is not the right forum but i was checking for ADF community page could not find it similar to what we have for power bi, if someone can direct me would be really helpful. Tried refreshing dataset by registering the app on dev.powerbi.com and then using web activity but didn't worked was getting error related to access rights. If anyone knows how to achieve this using existing set of tools will be really helpful. Currently doing it using flow and pipeline alert.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi there. You can call the power bi refresh from ADF but it's not an activity created by default. I think there is an activity call refresh dataset in logic apps and automate but not for ADF. Before running and activity in ADF you need first to create an azure functions or runbook refreshing the dataset/dataflow. Then you can add as linked service to be able to create an azure functions activity. In case you go with runbooks you can create a webhook and call it with http request activity.

You can check my python and powershell codes in https://github.com/ibarrau/PowerBi-code or my post for python step by step to create the scrpit (but the manipulation in ADF is not there) https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Python-Using-the-Power-BI-API-Without-Grant-Permissi...

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ibarrau 

That is what i don't want to do as i have limited access.

If you see i already tried registering app but it failed with error message 

Due to a configuration change made by your administrator, or because you moved to a new location, you must use multi-factor authentication

I did searched bit but couldn't get to the root of it because of less access rights.

Well I don't think 2FA should affect this. I have it configured. If you are sure you have accepted the permission to the app correctly and even though you can't do it. Then try logic apps. You can build a simple flow with "When a HTTP request is received" and next step "Power Bi Refresh Dataset".

With this two you can have an api call to build from a ADF activity.

Regards,

P/D If ADF is not mandatory you can do all with logic apps.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, I might be incorrect, but I thought that ADF was for extracting data, doing transformation on it and putting it somewhere else. And most often used to get on-premises data to the cloud. Can I ask why you need it to initiate a refresh in Power BI? Typically you just schedule refreshes in the Power BI Service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Yes you're correct that ADF is for ETL/ELT operations but after all my dimension and fact tables are loaded, I want to trigger my power bi dataset refresh and don't want to wait until scheduled refresh. Also there is problem with scheduled refresh let's there was an error occured during the data load or the pipeline took long time to complete then there is no communication between ADF and power bi dataset. Power BI scheduled refresh will trigger and will show the intermediate data or incorrect data which is not good.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors