Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Query / Power BI query / Power BI Online Service Dataflow - SharePoint folder 4000 csv files

Do you think I have unreasonable expectations for using SharePoint folders as a datasource with this large number of files and folder structure?  I am curious to know if others have had success with similar situation.

I am doing query development in Excel Power Query and  Power BI Desktop query  and then copy pasting in to Power BI Online Service Dataflow

I am experimenting using a SharePoint folder with 4,000 csv files as a datasource. Files are all small 5 to 20 kb size. Files are in nested structure no more than 3 levels deep eg main folder \ subfolder 1 \ subfolder 2. Total rows for all 4,000 files is about 390,000 rows. Files have between 3 to 10 columns.

I have the exact same content on my local drive to use as a local datasource for development purposes runs very fast:

1) A query that returns a basic list of files finishs in seconds.

2) Another query that uses function & parameter to extract rows from binary returns all rows from the 4,000 files (about 390,000 rows) in less than 10 seconds.

However, when using the  Sharepoint folder as a datasource:

1) The query that returns a basic list of files takes up to 10 minutes to finish but most often times out.

2) The other query that uses function & parameter to extract rows from binary returns all rows from the 4,000 files (about 390,000 rows)  has never finished, always timing out returning "Error: DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: " error.

This is the case regardless of using Excel Power Query, Power BI query or Power BI Online Service Dataflow.

Ideas? Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

Found useful blog post that addresses this issue 

Power BI and SharePoint – Terrible Together

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-and-sharepoint-terrible-together/ 

Specifically, more sub-folders increases refresh time required compared to only have files in one top level folder

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

Found useful blog post that addresses this issue 

Power BI and SharePoint – Terrible Together

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-and-sharepoint-terrible-together/ 

Specifically, more sub-folders increases refresh time required compared to only have files in one top level folder

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @009co ,

Does the replies above solve your problem? If it has been solved, please mark the correct reply as the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly.Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation!

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi Caitlyn, not answered yet, would love to hear more ideas and suggestions : )

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @009co 

What I would suggest is using the Table.Buffer which could potentially save you a lot of time as this will buffer the results and not have to go back and get the data multiple times?

Another option which I very often use is to install OneDrive client onto the Gateway Server. Then sync the folder to OneDrive. This allows you to then use the files as if they were local files?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Will look into buffering. Haven't used it in a while but can see its potential.

Interesting idea using OneDrive sync to Gateway Server.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors