Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query Data Gateway

I am getting this error while refreshing through gateway where as it working properly in desktop version

Underlying error code: -2147467259
Underlying error message: [Unable to combine data] Section1/Query1/Expanded Table Column1 references other
queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.DataSources: [{"kind":"SQL","path":"SQLSODWQA01\\SQLDevelopment;Stage_DataWarehouseWMS"}]
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason: PrivacyError
Cluster URI: WABI-CANADA-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: abb11f07-e321-5801-6299-8f175b4ac3f2
Request ID: 205d39fb-964c-1f11-90d7-6f4bdb5fba15
Time: 2023-01-06 15:36:51Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
[Unable to combine data]: Table references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

• One reason for this problem is privacy setting which don’t allow multiple sources in single query. Check privacy settings in your report file and every data source used.

In report file settings you must ignore Privacy settings.

• This problem can be solved by moving your query to Data Flow and using Data Flow as a source in report.

So create new Data Flow in your workspace and copy your original query there.

And now for the important part. If you try to refresh your data flow you will end up with another combination error message. You have to change Data Flow Privacy Level as described in picture.

Power BI refresh error: Unable to combine data and workarounds – Meant to BI

Dealing with errors - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Behind the scenes of the Data Privacy Firewall - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

If it still does not help, please provide more details with the error.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
[Unable to combine data]: Table references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

• One reason for this problem is privacy setting which don’t allow multiple sources in single query. Check privacy settings in your report file and every data source used.

In report file settings you must ignore Privacy settings.

• This problem can be solved by moving your query to Data Flow and using Data Flow as a source in report.

So create new Data Flow in your workspace and copy your original query there.

And now for the important part. If you try to refresh your data flow you will end up with another combination error message. You have to change Data Flow Privacy Level as described in picture.

Power BI refresh error: Unable to combine data and workarounds – Meant to BI

Dealing with errors - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Behind the scenes of the Data Privacy Firewall - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

If it still does not help, please provide more details with the error.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

When you go to "Section1/Query1/Expanded Table Column1 " do you see which step it is referring to?  And, is that step a data combination of something local or a non-SQL data source?  Also, is your gateway up to date and is your Power BI Desktop file up to date?  IF they are of sync quite a bit you can get interesting issues similar to this as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a invoke custom function which is inserting the data in on perime databases

Hey @Anonymous ,

In addition to what @v-rongtiep-msft stated, I am wondering, is your function taking a result FROM the query and then inserting data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors