Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi report blank in PBI service.

No_Data.png

Hi, Recently, I faced a strange issue in Power BI since Jan 2019. The power bi report, published in PBI service, becomes blank ( no data, not even history data is available ) and after few refresh (including power bi desktop refresh and publish to power bi service again ), the data is updated automatically. I am trying to understand what can be the root cause of this issue, why the report data is getting BLANK and how can I prevent it to happen in future? Any suggestion would really appreciated! Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
omelo
Helper III
Helper III

I'm experiencing the same issue! There are no filters, PowerBI desktop is updated, gateway is up & running.
I've created a copy of the report and published to a different workspace to no avail.

It only shows data for the first few minutes after I re-publish then it is blank. The refreshes are running with no issues but the report shows blank.

Can someone please assist.

Thank you

rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous ,

I am also facing the same issue. Were you able to get to the root cause? Please share how did you resolve the issue.

Thanks.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

How about selecting 2018/12 in the slicer?

It seems that your report doesn't refresh the lastest data in the new year automatically.

Which kind of connection of your data source: import, connect, live connection?

if you configure a gateway in service for schedule refresh, please check if the gateway is online and the schedule refresh works currently.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft, Thank you for the reply, Initially the report is already updated with the new data, but sometimes suddenly it goes blank including the old data also become blank. The type of connection is "import" and I also checked the gateway as my first troubleshooting method, but it was up and running.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @v-juanli-msft, Thank you for the reply, Initially the report is already updated with the new data, but sometimes suddenly it goes blank including the old data also become blank. The type of connection is "import" and I also checked the gateway as my first troubleshooting method, but it was up and running.

I am also having this issue with a similar setup (import).  Seems to happen right before a scheduled refresh, but only periodically.  Might have to do with high usage prio to a refresh.  The solution is live and I'm working for a massive global company so this is a big, big problem.  It eventually comes back but there are times when users are in meeting and they spend 10-15 minutes refreshing the report before the results come back.  Causes confusion and doesn't look good, and this is right after I sold them on Power BI.  

I sometimes see this as well.  The way I fix it is to use the eraser icon to remove the current data filter, then re-select the filter that i want to use.  For example, in my case the filter that causes this problem is a month filter.  Maybe last time I opened this rport page, I had filtered the MONTH field to include Jan, Feb, Mar and to NOT include Dec or Apr. So I remove all filtering for MONTH and then the data reappears for all MONTHS historically and up to today. And then I reset the filter for the months that I'm interested in.  Maybe this will work for you too? 

Take care,

Michele

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors