Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

scolvin
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi licences

Hello,

I am new in the Power BI environment and I want to know what licences I need to answer my needs.

I will be the only Power BI developper (Desktop) in my society and I want to publish the reports by Power BI Service or Web for the users in read only.

What licences I need ?

I tested with the free try Pro or Premium by user but it doesn't work...

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nope,

Premium Capacity is basicaly for Workspace capacity. Your organisation needs to get the license for premium capacity in order to allow Viewrs without license to see your reports.

I would recommend to start by Pro license and then you can upgrade as you go and as your needs.

With a Pro license for each user (Below 500 Users) is better than to start with premium for now.

and as I told you if you think that you can share your reports with your views through a Public URL then you can save money and your Pro license is good enough.

PPU has little more capabilities than Pro license, that's all.

aj1973_0-1618926641263.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @scolvin 

Here is a Table summary on what's been said

aj1973_0-1618924715664.png

Just to add : if the report does not contain sensitive data and you are willing to share it publicly then no need for any license to them viewers. with your pro license you can generate a Public URL and share it with them.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

scolvin
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Selimovd and NimaiAhluwalia,

But I read on the Microsoft site I can publish the reports in Premium capacity.

The users who read these reports don't need a Pro licence

Me : Licence Premium per user

Reading users : Free licence

Is it right ?

I tested it but it doesn't work !

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@scolvin 

PPU doesn't allow viewers with free license to see you report.

Check out the Table i sent it explain it all.

just to add, Premium Capacity is recommended for 500+ Users, if your organization doesn't need that than better look for other license as the Premium capacity cots a lot of fees.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@scolvin  yes it is right if  your workspace is backed by a premium capacity then the users viewing the content doesn't require a license 

have a look at the below table

NimaiAhluwalia_0-1618924963850.png

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Ok then If I have a premium license per user and I publish the reports on the Service, the users don't need license to read these reports ?

It don't work 🤔

Hello @scolvin 

NO, they will require a licence to view the report

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@scolvin 

No,

Please read my Posts

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thanks @aj1973 ,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/april19/business-intelligence/p...

If i had a premium license per user, I can create a workspace with premium capacity, it's right ?

So I take a premium license per user for me (20$/month) and the other users can read the reports in the Service if their roles are "Viewer" ?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nope,

Premium Capacity is basicaly for Workspace capacity. Your organisation needs to get the license for premium capacity in order to allow Viewrs without license to see your reports.

I would recommend to start by Pro license and then you can upgrade as you go and as your needs.

With a Pro license for each user (Below 500 Users) is better than to start with premium for now.

and as I told you if you think that you can share your reports with your views through a Public URL then you can save money and your Pro license is good enough.

PPU has little more capabilities than Pro license, that's all.

aj1973_0-1618926641263.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hello @scolvin ,

if you want to publish it to the service and others should be able to read it you and everyone who is reading it needs a Power BI Pro license. That's the cheapest possibility for that need.

Like this you can create a workspace and publish it to the workspace. Everyone who wants to consume that report needs access to a workspace and for that also a Pro license.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @scolvin 

If you just want to create reports on desktop then it will be for free

If you want to publish reports to the service and then share them with the users in the organization or the web then you will require a PRO license.

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

@NimaiAhluwalia  @selimovd  I can publish and share reports as a trial user of Fabric Preview to the workspace. Other users, even with a free license, are able to view these reports through the shared links. Do you know why is that? I have read everywhere that to view the report users will require Pro license minimum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors