Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

siddhartha
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi Service Issue - Line Chart Legends

I'm facing an issue with Legends in PowerBI, where it is working as expected in PowerBI Desktop whereas it is not on PowerBI service. I believe something has changed recently as it was working perfectly previously.

I've created a sample report to highlight the issue. Here is the query used -

select *
from
(
select 'A' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-21' AS Date) AS Dt, 10 As X, 20 AS Y, NULL AS Z
union all
select 'A' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-22' AS Date) AS Dt, 15 As X, 20 AS Y, NULL AS Z
union all
select 'A' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-23' AS Date) AS Dt, 18 As X, 20 AS Y, NULL AS Z
union all
select 'A' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-24' AS Date) AS Dt, 22 As X, 20 AS Y, NULL AS Z
union all
select 'A' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-25' AS Date) AS Dt, 19 As X, 20 AS Y, NULL AS Z
union all
select 'B' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-21' AS Date) AS Dt, NULL As X, 20 AS Y,23 AS Z
union all
select 'B' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-22' AS Date) AS Dt, NULL As X, 20 AS Y,18 AS Z
union all
select 'B' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-23' AS Date) AS Dt, NULL As X, 20 AS Y,15 AS Z
union all
select 'B' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-24' AS Date) AS Dt, NULL As X, 20 AS Y,22 AS Z
union all
select 'B' AS Typ, CAST('2017-04-25' AS Date) AS Dt, NULL As X, 20 AS Y,10 AS Z
) a

In PowerBI desktop , when I select A as Typ, it only shows X and Y in the Legend. (which is expected)

desktop.PNG

however on the PowerBi Service, the same report with same slicer selected shows all the legends namely X,Y and Z. here is the snapshot -

service.PNG

thanks

Sid

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@siddhartha

I've got response from the Product Team.

The previous behavior was incorrect, and this is by design. When you create a legend by using multiple values, all values are always supposed to show up in the legend.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hi Herbert,

The previous feature seems to be working for the scenario where either of the values can be present. (not both).

Our production dashboards were working properly using the previous feature and working properly. however it is not with these changes .

thanks

Sid

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @siddhartha,

Which version of Power BI Desktop do you use? I test your scenario in the latest version of Power BI Desktop(Version: 2.46.4732.461 64-bit (May 2017)), when I select A in Typ slicer, it also shows X,Y and Z in the Legend, which acts like that in Power BI Service.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I'm using Power BI Desktop Version - 2.45.4704.442 64-bit (April 2017). I can update to the latest version, however for this particular feature, I believe the April version was a better represntation. The reason being, if I do not see any data points related to the specific legend, there is no point of showing it either.

Thanks

Sid 

Hi @siddhartha,

I will report this issue internally and post back once I get any updates.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors