Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi Report export to PowerPoint way too slow

My organization uses Power Bi service as a self-serve platform for end-users to export reports to Powerpoint. It has been complained by some of the users that the export process is taking way too long that it negatively impacts their productivity. I personally did a performance test myself. To export a report that contains 19 slides to Powerpoint, it takes nearly 6 mins, in which case I would say that their complaint is totally justified. Of course it would also depend on other variables, such as internet connection and etc. But when I use SharePoint to export the same Powerpoint, it takes a little over 1 min which is much more acceptable. Has anybody experienced similar issues with Power BI? Is there a way that we can speed up the export process, or potentially is there anything that we could be doing wrong?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Not necessarily a solution, but this is really cool: https://blog.devscope.net/2018/06/14/embed-power-bi-reports-powerpoint/

It's a paid for feature right now, but as they stated, Microsoft should be working on it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GlebGanin
Regular Visitor

I was having this issue as well with a 34 page report that "timed out" at one hour while trying to export to Power Point. I figured out that the issue had to do with my page background images. For some reason when I set the background using the visualizations pane the export would take forever  (8min for 1 page). 

GlebGanin_0-1672790026703.png

I changed all the backgrounds to a simple image that I stretched out and then formatted to "send to back". Now the 34 page report exports in less than 5 minutes:

Step 1 Insert:

GlebGanin_1-1672790192035.png

Step 2 Enlarge and send to back:

GlebGanin_2-1672790235677.png

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Exporting to PowerPoint is always slow.There are two ways that maybe can help you. And the two ways can show reports dynamically.

• You could try to add reports into PowerPiont directly.

1.PNG

• Or publish your report to web and then use the Web Viewer in PowerPoint.

1.gif

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Not necessarily a solution, but this is really cool: https://blog.devscope.net/2018/06/14/embed-power-bi-reports-powerpoint/

It's a paid for feature right now, but as they stated, Microsoft should be working on it.

Zoe333

This issue generally occurs when your internet is slow. Have you checked your internet speed? Sometimes other websites loader faster. If your internet is working perfectly fine then I would recommend you to contact the support team they can be the best people to help you out!

Regards,

Zoe

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors