Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aoberlander
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi Pro question

If I buy one Power BI pro license for myself would i be able to create a gateway on each of my 125 datasources, or would there be any extra cost because of the amount of data sources?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@aoberlander Let me see if I can help, but I'm a bit intimidated by the outline. You manage 125 seperate tenants?

Depending on what D365 product you have here are the ways I see to connect.

Odata - this is most likely the slowest, but would allow you to develop in the Desktop. - requries gateway to refresh

Content Packs - these are curated solutions offered in the service that give you datasets/reports/dashboards with nothing other than your login info. But you can't modify the model

Use a service to move the data to an azure SQL dB - this would allow you to use Direct Query (live) connection, and wouldn't require a gateway. This appears to be seperated by tenant as well. - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt744592.aspx

If these truely are seperate tenants, and not domains that roll up under the same tenant, you might have an issue because you would need seperate creds in each AAD environment and thus a new Pro license in each tenant. Power BI is a Saas offering that resides within a tenant, I'm not aware of any way to create cross-tenant solutions...

Am i understanding your request accurately?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@aoberlander First just for clarity, if you use a Pro feature all end users or consumers of that report/dashboard would need a Pro license.

I'm not aware of any limitation of adding "x" number of datasources to an On Premises Data Gateway, but depending on traffic, you may want to split up the data sources to multiple gateways. You don't need a gateway for every data source, you can add multiple data sources to the same gateway.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Let me clarify a little. I just got the full plan from my manager.

Its not seperate datasources, but instead it is 125 seperate D365 tenants.

At the moment we are only going to have 2 people with the power bi pro license (Myself, CEO)

So to edit my question. Would 1 or 2 users be able to create live connections to all 125 D365 instances? (I'm not exaclty sure how it works with D365, but i am guessing it still uses the gateways)

@aoberlander Let me see if I can help, but I'm a bit intimidated by the outline. You manage 125 seperate tenants?

Depending on what D365 product you have here are the ways I see to connect.

Odata - this is most likely the slowest, but would allow you to develop in the Desktop. - requries gateway to refresh

Content Packs - these are curated solutions offered in the service that give you datasets/reports/dashboards with nothing other than your login info. But you can't modify the model

Use a service to move the data to an azure SQL dB - this would allow you to use Direct Query (live) connection, and wouldn't require a gateway. This appears to be seperated by tenant as well. - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt744592.aspx

If these truely are seperate tenants, and not domains that roll up under the same tenant, you might have an issue because you would need seperate creds in each AAD environment and thus a new Pro license in each tenant. Power BI is a Saas offering that resides within a tenant, I'm not aware of any way to create cross-tenant solutions...

Am i understanding your request accurately?

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors