Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Hoveyg
Regular Visitor

Power Bi PRO License with no publishing ability

Hi Everyone,

In reviewing PBI documentation, I understand a PowerBI Pro license is required in order to both publish AND view a PowerBI report or dashboard.  My question/problem is that I would like to ideally share a report to my organization but I do not necessarily want them to be able to author and publish their own.  Without proper training and governance set in place, I fear inexperienced users may inadvertedly expose sensitive private or corporate data.  

So basically, I'm wondering if there is some sort of license type that would allow users to access & view a report, but not give them the ability to publish their own reports to an organization.

Is this possible?  Thoughts? 

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Hoveyg - Allocation of a PBI license free or pro by default gives users 'My Workspace', but you cannot publish an app from My Workspace. So limiting the creation of workspaces to certain users and giving view-only access to all workspaces along will restriction of the addition of users to workspaces should get you what you want.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Hoveyg - You can have PRO licenses for all users and just create a workspace on PBI Service and set the settings to 'Members can only View Content'. This way despite users having PRO licenses assigned they won't be able to edit any kind of published content on that Workspace. Just ensure all are defined members as well and you as an Admin in that defined workspace and you should be good.

Thanks @nirvana_moksh - This is how I have my workspace configured but unfornuately it does not necessarily address my initial concern.. i.e.  How do I prevent these users from creating their own workspace and publishing their own reports within the organization?  From the tennant level, we'd like only certain users to have authoring capabilities in our organization, everyone else would be consumers..  Is this possible?

@Hoveyg- through the admin portal you can specify who can and cannot create workspaces. Also, having authoring capability and not having access to any of the workspaces will limit users to being able to only publish to their My Workspace

Thanks again @nirvana_moksh...  Taking it a step further, is it also possible to prevent users from publishing and sharing reports on their own 'My Workspace' to the organization?

@Hoveyg - Allocation of a PBI license free or pro by default gives users 'My Workspace', but you cannot publish an app from My Workspace. So limiting the creation of workspaces to certain users and giving view-only access to all workspaces along will restriction of the addition of users to workspaces should get you what you want.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors